It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

insrchofpeace HB User
Has anyone tried 5-HTP as a depression cure?

My depression comes and goes, some days I'm ok and other days it takes a lot of effort to stop myself from crying all day. I think some of it could be situational but some of it is definitely chemical. My mood is pretty flat and I just feel hopeless about life in general.

I've tried a few different antidepressants (paxil, zoloft, wellbutrin, cymbalta). All of them had some type of side effect that I couldn't deal with. Also I don't currently have insurance so I can't afford to see a psychiatrist or pay for anti's. Someone on another forum recommended that I read the mood cure. Basically she recommends taking certain supplements in place of anti depressants.

Specifically something called 5-HTP which I guess helps aid in seratonin production. Have any of you ever tried supplements and did it help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Has anyone tried 5-HTP as a depression cure?

I'm currently on 5-HTP (since March) and it's working great. I take it on an empty stomach with a B complex vitamin to help metabolize it. I too suffered bad side effects from prescription ad's and I will never go back to them.

Last edited by kittywitty; 08-30-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
(male)

jemmiez HB User

I have experimented with 50 mg of 5-htp at night. I will say that when I was taking a b-complex (in the morning with food) and the 5-htp seemed to really work. However, I tried it without the b-complex and it didn't seem to work much. If low serotonin is your problem then 5-htp can absolutely help

.. I actually just saw a naturopath (I have been experiencing depression, anxiety, cloudy head, sleep problems, and dizziness.) This is the most thorough doctor I have ever been to. Since depression and anxiety can be caused by many things she is taking this all into account and analyzing my diet, testing my adrenal glands, checking for hypoglycemia, working with me on my "sleep hygiene", and also incorporating relaxation techniques such as deep breathing to reduce stress. I am not saying that your depression or even my depression is not caused simply by too little serotonin or lack of another neurotransmitter, however, keep in mind that adrenal problems, food allergies, hypoglycemia, poor sleep, bad nutrition and other things can cause feelings of depression and anxiety as well. I wish you the best of luck and if you are interested I will keep you updated as to my progress. Take care

- Matt

Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
(male)

jemmiez HB User

I just wanted to add that the mood cure is definitely a good book. Julia Ross does mention how adrenals and diet as well as food allergies all can contribute to depression and anxiety. I am not sure I agree with her dietary guidelines which are similar to the Atkins diet. She claims this is very beneficial to mood while others argue high protein low carb. diets are detrimental to mood. Anyway, she does advocate the usage of different aminos such as tyrosine, dl-phenylalanine, gaba, 5-htp, amongst others and I think the book is worth taking a look at for sure.

Closed Thread