It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

Anne82 HB User
Thinking of Going on Medication

I've been depressed a long time and have tried to deal without without going on antidepressants. I'm now desparate for a change and am willing to try something, but there are so many out there and I've heard all sorts of horrible stories about side effects (especially weight gain). My doctor suggested Lexapro - can anyone please share their good or bad experiences on any type of anti depressant with me please. I'm really concerned, but really needing to try something new.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Thinking of Going on Medication

I would go for it Anne!
Medication will get you out of your misery. Any side effects are usually temporary and if not, the doctor can change the medication until you find the ones that suit you.
When I had my first panic attack four years ago, my doctor promised me he would make me well again. And he did. After trying a couple of different meds, I am now well off them and I am doing just fine.
Medication has helped me to ride over the difficult patch and therapy has made me understand the reasons behind my woes and enabled me to gain control of myself and my fears.
Medication DOES help. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. But it takes time and needs patience and perseverence. If you conbine it with systematic therapy, the results will be obvious very quickly.
God bless you

Last edited by thaliak; 08-30-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

justlilme HB User

Yes, Anne. I second what Thalia said. Medication will get you out of the hole you are in and therapy will help you gain techniques to overcome the cognitive aspect of depression. I was on Lexapro's cousin, Celexa, and it was great. I actually lost weight, it made my migraines disappear, and most importantly made my depression go away. I was on it for about 4mos (march to july of this year) and then I got off. The depression hasn't come back, knock on wood, and I feel fine. The side effects I've gotten were fatigue and loss of libido, which is not bad, really. I simply slept longer during the nights and felt fine during the day. Remember that there is NOTHING wrong with going on meds. Medication does help and is OK. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

What mg of Celexa were you prescribed? Did you have any side effects in the beginning like anxiety? Thanks, Soph

Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Also, did either of you ever take Xanax for anxiety? I am in the same boat as you Anne...I know I need to go on something after suffering from a very long illness and being housebound for a very long time. Thanks

Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

People assume they start taking medication and all of a sudden the sun comes out from behind the clouds. It does not work this way. Medication can help when the right med at the right dosage is found. This is done by experimenting through different drugs at four to six week intervals. I went off work in May 2005 and put on meds in November of the same year I was hospitalized as Paxil put me over the edge during the two month stay that followed they finaly figured out a combo that would work for me. This combo gets me out of bed, slows down the suicidal ideation, killed the majority of emotions that I do have and left me with the shell of a man I use to be but I am still alive for whatever that is worth. Antidepressants are not going to make you happy with the right one it gives you the clarity and ambition to start climbing out of the hole. Do not put all of your eggs in the medication basket.

Xanax for the most part is meant for short term use only and it is one of the most abused prescription meds out there

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
(female)

justlilme HB User

Hi Sophie. I was prescribed 10mg Celexa daily to start the first week, and then 20mg daily. I wouldn't exactly call it anxiety, but I was very jittery and physically restless, like I couldn't sit still in my chair at all. I also had nausea the first several weeks and fatigue, to which I became accustomed and simply went to bed earlier to get more hours of sleep. Sorry, I haven't tried Xanax. I have yet to try Zoloft for anxiety and irritability. My obgyn keeps pushing me on it, but for some reason I am resisting her. Good luck with finding the right medication.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I was on celexa for 8 weeks and had some side effects the first 4 days. Mostly hot flashes and yawning. I did find it too sedating. I am now on lexapro and have had different side effects, I do believe it caused some anxiety which is now settling down after 2 weeks. I have tried other anti's but these have been the best as far as side effects. Godbless

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #9
(male)

tonyds2112 HB User

What ever you do just stay away from Prozac!

Just do your reaserch on these meds before taking them. Some have very high suicide rates and you should stay away from them. Some have a very long list of side affects that could make matters worse for you.

Ton

Closed Thread