It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

kcooke82 HB User
5-HTP + St Johns Wort?

i've been taking st johns wort for about 2 and a half weeks now for depression and anxiety and i haven't really noticed anything yet, im told it's not very good for major depression which i'm pretty sure i have.

I'm starting a new job next week that i realllllly wanna be feeling better for and i dont think SJW on its own is gonna do the trick, im reluctant to get on prescription anti depressants due to side effects so i was wondering if A: you can take both at the same time, and B: if anyone has tried this combination, or 5-HTP on its own and can offer some insight on its effectiveness? Im concerened about taking 5-HTP for a couple of reasons, the biggest is i know people take to to suppress appetite, which im already hardly eating due to my depression / anxiety, i've lost around 15lbs in 3 weeks and barly have more than 1 small meal a day, so i really dont want something thats going to worsen that. and second, i know it can cause sleep problems and i already have a big enough problem with that already anyways

feedback would be appreciated!!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
(male)

jemmiez HB User
Re: 5-HTP + St Johns Wort?

I have heard of people combining the two, some who experienced side effects and some who did not. The problem with combining them is you are definitely increasing your risk of developing serotonin syndrome, which can be quite serious. Personally, I would suggest trying each on its own. I tried 5-htp while i was regularly taking a b-complex vitamin and I felt a boost in mood and a significant reduction in my depression in anxiety. Unfortunately, the next day I had a negative reaction to another supplement I was taking and decided to stop taking all of my supplements. After I was sure that the 5-htp was not the one causing the problems, I went back to taking it, but this time I did not take the b complex. I didn't see the same results unfortunately. Since then I began seeing a naturopath who is going to work with me on several aspects of my health including sleep, nutrition, and stress avoidance, among others. On my first visit she determined I had a zinc deficiency through a reliable test, which means I am likely deficient in other vitamins and/or minerals. She is also testing my adrenal function (dhea, cortisol) which if out of whack can cause anxiety , depression, insomnia, low energy and cloudy headedness as well as monitoring my diet for possible food allergies and sensitivities which believe it or not can also cause the same symptoms. If possible I would absolutely suggest you trying to find a good naturopath, mine advocates the use of 5-htp for sleep and depression. Currently, I am holding off on trying the 5-htp until I get my adrenal test back and until I take the proper supplements (which she will suggest for me after further testing and an analysis of my diet) to bring me out of my deficient state. With that said I once again reccomend trying 5-htp but keep in mind you may have to incorporate a b complex vitamin supplement before you see any results. I would also suggest starting at no more than 50mgs for at least 5 days before increasing. I saw promising results with 5htp but at this point I want to rule out other underlying causes before I start messing around with neurotransmitters. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

- Matt

Last edited by jemmiez; 08-31-2007 at 04:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

katoka HB User
Talking Re: 5-HTP + St Johns Wort?

Hi there,

I've tried St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, SAMe and B-complex vitamins for treatment of anxiety and depression and I have to say that of all, the B-complex (liquid) was the most helpful. I felt no better with either the 5-HTP or the SJW, but this is how I starting recovering and hopefully it will work for you too.

For the depression, I started with 200mg SAMe in the morning and followed 30min later with 1 tsp liquid B-complex and 1 tsp omega 3-6-9 (also liquid). I have found that the liquid is more effective than pills because it has higher bioavailability in the body. I also took another 200mg SAMe in the evening. This treatment took less than a week for me to feel and I gradually cut back to only the B-complex and Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids in the morning which is working great for me now. If I have a "down" day, I'll also take 200mg SAMe in the morning, but usually the B vitamins do the trick.

The fact that B-vitamins are so effective is no surprise. There have been studies done showing that the majority of women who suffer from depression have a vitamin B deficiency and treatment with a B-complex significantly improved symptoms. If you want to take 5-HTP or SAMe, it is very important to also take a B-complex. Both 5-HTP and SAMe work on the production of serotonin. Vitamin B is an essential component to the production of serotonin and therefore, if you are deficient, the SAMe and 5-HTP can't work properly.

For the anxiety, I drink and would highly recommend kava tea and chamomile tea. I find that the teas work better because I can drink until I feel calm and then I can stop. With a pill, it's harder to control exact dosage. I drink Yogi brand teas, Kava Stress Relief and Calming (which has chamomile). On occasion, I also take Hyland's Calms Forte which is a homeopathic anxiety/sleep remedy that works really great, is gentle and has no side effects. If you want to be really creative, you can order kava root powder online and make a kava drink just like it's been made for over 3000 years in the South Pacific islands. The traditional preparation produces a more potent drink which has wonderful calming qualities. I've been using the root and traditional preparation and the results are amazing, especially right now if your anxiety is really bad and you need relief.

I hope this helped. If you need any additional information, please let me know!

Katie

Last edited by katoka; 08-31-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Adding important information

Old 08-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooke82 View Post
i've been taking st johns wort for about 2 and a half weeks now for depression and anxiety and i haven't really noticed anything yet, im told it's not very good for major depression which i'm pretty sure i have.

I'm starting a new job next week that i realllllly wanna be feeling better for and i dont think SJW on its own is gonna do the trick, im reluctant to get on prescription anti depressants due to side effects so i was wondering if A: you can take both at the same time, and B: if anyone has tried this combination, or 5-HTP on its own and can offer some insight on its effectiveness? Im concerened about taking 5-HTP for a couple of reasons, the biggest is i know people take to to suppress appetite, which im already hardly eating due to my depression / anxiety, i've lost around 15lbs in 3 weeks and barly have more than 1 small meal a day, so i really dont want something thats going to worsen that. and second, i know it can cause sleep problems and i already have a big enough problem with that already anyways

feedback would be appreciated!!
SJW is a maoi.....not as strong as the maoi ad's....just be careful with food interactions. Be careful mixing and matching.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

If I remember correctly SJW and antidepressants can not be mixed as the SJW makes the mental med useless

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

I tried 5-htp and lost my libido. I had a problem breathing which stopped when I discontinued it.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
(male)

kcooke82 HB User

well i caved, im now on 10mg of Celexa a day, the natural stuff just wasn't cutting it enough for me. im on day 5 right now and it seems to be working a little, although i had a SEVERE interaction with alcohol the other day which sucks cause i love a good drink now and then on the weekends with my friends and it seems that this is not going to be possible anymore...

im hoping after a few weeks when the celexa is more in my system i can handle drinks a bit better, cause i have friends on effexor that drink all the time with no ill effects, so maybe its just cause my body was just starting to get used to the Celexa and it was too early to throw alcohol in the mix

Closed Thread