It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

jen2223 HB User
Unhappy Depression is ruling me

hi

I have recently been diagnosed with depression and am finding it very hard to cope. i think i have gone through periods of depression thoughout my life, but this time its gradually getting worst.

i try to stay in bed for as long as possible because i feel as if there is nothing to get up for. When i finally do get up i end up just watching tv or reading. Everyday is the same.

i have also started to binge on food. Food seems to be the only pleasure in my life. Sometimes i perge afterwards and other times i don't. I dont understand why i binge because afterwards i feel worse and i have gained weight because i have stopped exercising or doing anything for that matter.

i hate myself and what i am doing and feel guilty because i really dont have anything to be depressed about. I have a loving family and good support but i still can't be happy. Not a lot of people around me really understand it- and i dont really.

I can't go on anti-depressants as i am only 17. i've seen a pcycologist who is refering me for concelling- but i don't really know if that is going to help.

I dont recognise myself and i have lost all my personality. i just want to know if anybody is feeling the same and whether anybody has any advice on how to get out of the cycle of depression. thanks x

Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
(male)

Zedp989 HB User
Re: Depression is ruling me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2223 View Post
hi

I have recently been diagnosed with depression and am finding it very hard to cope. i think i have gone through periods of depression thoughout my life, but this time its gradually getting worst.

i try to stay in bed for as long as possible because i feel as if there is nothing to get up for. When i finally do get up i end up just watching tv or reading. Everyday is the same.

i have also started to binge on food. Food seems to be the only pleasure in my life. Sometimes i perge afterwards and other times i don't. I dont understand why i binge because afterwards i feel worse and i have gained weight because i have stopped exercising or doing anything for that matter.

i hate myself and what i am doing and feel guilty because i really dont have anything to be depressed about. I have a loving family and good support but i still can't be happy. Not a lot of people around me really understand it- and i dont really.

I can't go on anti-depressants as i am only 17. i've seen a pcycologist who is refering me for concelling- but i don't really know if that is going to help.

I dont recognise myself and i have lost all my personality. i just want to know if anybody is feeling the same and whether anybody has any advice on how to get out of the cycle of depression. thanks x
Hey there, how are you feeling today? I'm in the same boat as you Jen; I understand what you're going through. Are you going to continue to see this certain psychologist for therapy? Is there any specific reason why you don't think the therapy will help? I'm sorry to be asking all of these questions, you don't have to answer any of them if you don't want to. I'm only asking because I care abut how you are and how you feel. I may sound ignorant on this subject, but is there any specific reason why you can't take medication? Is it illegal in the UK for teens to be on anti-depressant medication?

I'm 17 as well and I know how much trouble sharing your feelings can be. I, like you, have been struggling with depression since I was about 14 or 15 and never got help. I let it fester and tried to cope with it, but it doesn't go away without help. Back in July, I was diagnosed with MDD(Major Depressive Disorder) and have struggled to get appointments with my psychologist. I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg for a little over two weeks now. I can relate with the tiredness and no energy to do anything. My doctor said I should walk outside, even if it's just for 20 minutes. I have to force myself to walk and do things, plus going to school everyday. I will say that the medication has helped some; nothing feels as heavy as it used to. My family didn't understand at first, and sometimes they still don't kind of, but it doesn't hurt to try and tell them everything you feel.

Sorry if I talked too much about myself, I'm just relating with you so I can try and help. Jen, I want to be able to answer your question about getting out of the cycle of depression. Would you consider seeing your psychologist frequently for therapy? I know how it feels to feel skeptical about therapy because I still feel it sometimes, but it really does help. It certainly won't hurt anything, so what have you got to lose?

I come to the board everyday because I have struggles like you and everyone else here. I will be here to listen whenever you need to talk. I hope I helped in any small way I could.

Much love,
Zed

Last edited by Zedp989; 09-03-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Jen, please consider counseling. It changed my life. And please continue to post here. So you feel guilty and hate yourself because you feel that you have no right to be depressed? I also hear you saying that no one understands. Please talk Jen with a therapist or here (preferrably both!)

Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2223 View Post
hi

Hi Jen. I'm in the same situation. You don't really need a reason to be depressed, but the main reason for mine is my social phobia which makes me extremely lonely and isolated.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Counseling will help you.

Good luck!

Closed Thread