It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

karen51 HB User
Angry I hate these damn MOOD SWINGS!!!

This morning I was in a perfectly good mood, considering my circumstances. Then after I saw my therapist, bringing up the past put me in a crappy mood. I had all these things planned to do today, but I just came home.

My mood can change with the wind. I do have borderline personality disorder, so that is part of it. I just want to go lay down and take a nap. Problem with that is, I am in this wacky sleeping pattern and I think I would feel better if I could go to bed and get up earlier. My cymbalta is part of that. I go to bed at 2 am and wake up sometimes at 4 or 5. Then I go to sleep again and wake up in a grumpy mood everyday. I wish there were a sleeping med that would work. Trazadone made me have bad dreams and feel like a zombie until 2 the next afternoon.

Anyway, this mood change today has been pretty drastic and ruined my day. Or I let it ruin it anyway.

I was on a mood stabilizer, but it was too damn expensive and caused me to gain weight and I have to lose weight or I am headed for diabetes. Oh well, just had to rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a brain transplant...

karen51:

Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User
Re: I hate these damn MOOD SWINGS!!!

Karen how long have you been on the cymbalta? It sounds like it's not working for you today. The reason I asked is because I was thinking about trying it but was worried about the sleep and weight loss. I have the same problem as you. It doesn't take anything to get me "ill" and it stays with me I can't just shake it off. What mood stabilizer was you on? The one I tried was expensive too. I hope you sleep good tonight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

karen51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janart View Post
Karen how long have you been on the cymbalta? It sounds like it's not working for you today. The reason I asked is because I was thinking about trying it but was worried about the sleep and weight loss. I have the same problem as you. It doesn't take anything to get me "ill" and it stays with me I can't just shake it off. What mood stabilizer was you on? The one I tried was expensive too. I hope you sleep good tonight.
The Cymbalta works the best than any AD I have tried, and I have tried them all. I guess I contribute the mood swings to my lovely personality disorder. I hate it with a passion, I wish I did not have it. Also my circumstances with NO job, No money and having to listen to my dad remind me on a daily basis how I am killing him financially. I even buy a lottery ticket occasionally wishing I could win just a little money. I am not the luckiest person in the world for sure, sometimes I think I am one of the unluckiest!!!

I sleep good when I sleep, it is just off and on. The weight loss thing is an effort and the Cymbalta helps me on that. Of course if you are not wanting to lose, or can't afford to lose any weight I guess that could be a problem. Every drug affects everyone differently of course, you could try it and see. I was on Neurontin for a mood stabilizer, and a doctor told me when I was in the hospital last that it is outdated for a mood stabilizer. The company has been sued for a lot of money because of it.

Thanks and I think I will sleep tonight, I avoided the nap so far!!

Hugs....
karen

Last edited by karen51; 09-04-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

This morning I was in a perfectly good mood, considering my circumstances. Then after I saw my therapist, bringing up the past put me in a crappy mood. I had all these things planned to do today, but I just came home

dear karen,
i completey know what you are talking about up there. same thing happened to me many, many times. i would have a therapy appt. and then planned lots of errands, but afterwards (bec. of the stuff that arose in therapy) i felt so horrible, i just came home in a very horrible mood and went to sleep. i think sometimes this is ok, and it happens to more people than we think. it's easy to say "don't beat yourself up" for this, but i understand it, so, i won't REALLY say it to you...just an example. this was just to let you know you're not alone!!!

fondly,
dakota

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen51 View Post
This morning I was in a perfectly good mood, Then after I saw my therapist, bringing up the past put me in a crappy mood.

My mood can change with the wind.
(
Hi Karen, a mood change because a lot of stuff was brought out with a therapy appt. is not the wind! Like Dakota said this is very common and very expected. Once you start working through the stuff and putting it away it will get better.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I understand as well! On my own birthday I went to the psychiatrist to talk to them a month after going off of Cymbalta (it made me gain weight and wasn't helping me) and once I was reminded of everything, I went home crying and was sad all day. It's no fun at all! Do you all have any tips for what to think about that is POSITIVE after something like this?

Karen, how are things with your borderline personality disorder? I am curious to know more about this because there are times when I just don't feel like myself at all and do things I normally wouldn't do. I am not bipolar though and I don't go from extremes really.

I was dealing with self harm in the past and had a bad day and accidentally made those bad choices again and REALLY regretted them and was very upset about it, but then the next night I felt like doing it again and I have no idea why.

Good luck with everything!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

karen51 HB User
Exclamation Re: I hate these damn MOOD SWINGS!!!

Dear Tu,

Today things are not going so well. This disorder makes you tend to think black and white. Things are either great or horrible. The things you mention sound familiar. I copied this description off the net...

"A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors and have a majority of the following symptoms:

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

Chronic feelings of emptiness

Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms"

Is that not bad? I have most of the symptoms, but on a low level. I do dissassociate sometimes when I start to feel really stressed. It is a strange feeling.

When I was drinking alcohol, I did a lot of the self destructive behaviors. Most of them. I have the intense anger sometimes and really bad mood swings, but not enough to keep me from functioning, just enough to make me miserable.

Other than the DBT therapy that is really supposed to help, there is no medicine and no cure. I have been this way most of my life, but it just intensified in the last 2 years when I just finally had enough of my life and took an overdose. I took several, but not enough to really harm me. Alcohol for me is a big no no!! It makes me very irrational and impulsive and I have done many bad things, not caring what happened to me. I wanted so badly to die.

It can be diagnosed with a fairly simple test or an extensive one. Both showed me as a dead ringer for it. Just my luck I say.

All that helps me is therapy and my antidepressants plus an anti anxiety med.

My therapist has helped a lot. I have had 6 hospitalizations in the last 2 years. The last one was so horrible, I gave up alcohol completely and am working very very hard to control my anger right now.

I hope you do not have this. People with severe bpd are murderers and etc. It is bad.

Good luck to you!!!

Love,

karen51

Closed Thread