It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
(male)

SycamoreLeaf HB User
Venlafaxine/Effexor Withdrawal

I am two weeks into the process of coming of effexor completely. My background is that in 2000 I was diagnosed as a severe clinical depressive and was put on a treatment schedule. This started with a 12 month course of CBT. After about 6 months I was prescribed fluoxetine which I was on (with varying dosages) for three years.

During a period when I was considered to be better, my doc was trying to help do without the meds and reducing things, my wife (now my ex) decided to request a divorce as she didn't understand me any more etc etc (after some 14 years of marriage and 3 kids).

This brought on the onset of another depressive episode and my psychiatrist proscribed Venlafaxine as fluoxetine seemed not to work. I have been on 150mg pd since 2004 and after another session of CBT, a divorce, my company going bankrupt, moving towns, finding a wonderful woman who loves me as I am and starting a whole new life I am coming off the tablets.

The regime has been 75mg twice a day for 1 week then 75mg am and 37.5mg pm and I am about to start on 37.5mg twice a day for 2 weeks then 37.5MG pd and then back to the doc hoefully for the all clear and no more tablets.

Withdrawal symptoms so far:- Dizziness - I fainted for the first time in my life (I am 46), flu like symptoms, my knees ache and occaisionally I get a "woolly" feeling in my head.

I would be most grateful for any comments, suggestions and help from other members as I am very keen to enjoy my new life as a normal person (allthough some of friends would say fairly rude things at this point - but only in jest).

Last edited by SycamoreLeaf; 09-08-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Venlafaxine/Effexor Withdrawal

Hi:

From what I have seen and heard the key to coming off of Effexor is the slower the better. It is pretty common for people to break open the capsule and count out the beads, then dropping by ten percent in stages that there own body is comfortable with. Your looking at a period of at least two months. Your body is going through withdrawl and it is not happy. SOE should see the site and she is always helpfull.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Hi,

TRG gave you good advice. It's good to go slow.

I used to break open the capsules and take some beads out and I would make a week's worth. If I felt ok, I would drop it a little more for the next week. If I was feeling too bad, I would go back up a little bit, stay there until I felt stabilized and come back down again slower.

You might ask your doctor for some Compazine. It's good for nausea. Being dizzy or feeling faint can also make you nauseas.

Also Benedryl helps a lot of people through the dizziness and nausea.

It's very important to try to get as much rest as possible through the withdrawal -- and avoid sugar and caffeine as much as possible because they are stimulants.

Take care.

SOE

Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
(male)

SycamoreLeaf HB User

Thanks for the replies and I thought I would give you an update.

As I had a few capsules (75mg) left I thought I would use them up taking them in the morning. By late afternoon I am feeling slightly "woolly" and a bit dizzy, but no more fainting yet as 6'3" hitting the floor registers on the richter scale.

I was wondering if I should change to 2x35mg pd tablets one in the am and one pm to make my 75mg pd dose up. With the Effexor half life I am wondering whether this would be better. My doc said it was up to me.

I suppose I would like any help or advice as i am unsure of which could be better so any help or suggestions would be well received.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I am speaking from what I have seen that has worked for others on this site. The best way is to use the capsules and break them open. If the withdrawl method is to fast your going to get sick and apparently the worst part is the last 35mg. Effexor halflife is really screwed up which makes it difficult to get off. Again take the slowest method possible for the best results. Sorry this is scattered I am trying to do ten things at once

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
(male)

SycamoreLeaf HB User

trg247 - Thanks I might give that a try and see how it works

Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
(male)

SycamoreLeaf HB User

Time for an update

After 1 week on the 75mg routine I have survived in one piece (nearly) but am now changing to 37.5mg tablets twice a day as I have run out of the capsules. So we will see if this cahnges things. i don't like having to take pills in the evening as I don't always remember and the time they are taken can vary as I have to take them with food or they rot my stomach.

Withdrawal effects last week -
Insomnia - my partner has been amazed with my ability to get to sleep very quickly, which is still there but I am waking during the night and then seem to doze in 40 min - 1 Hour spells until the alarm goes off.

Woolly head - sometimes in the afternoon I have felt woolly as though I was wrapped in cotton wool and slightly dizzy - but no more fainting.

Trots - at least two or three times a day no problem.

On the plus side the night sweats have diminished which is a huge blessing - and the day sweats have reduced I seem to be getting some control back of my internal temp control.

Joint Ache - my lower back and coccyx has been killing me recently (v old back injury) but the ibruprofen seems to help.

Mentally I am ok and still feeling "normal" and determined to go through with this if only to see what happens.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

So much for taking anyone's advice.

Closed Thread