It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
Celexa and Night Sweats -- Miserable, Need Advice!

Hi everyone,

I am currently on Celexa for depression. Since beginning antidepressants (first Lexapro then switched to Celexa for price reasons) I have experienced horrible night sweats.

I have had repeated regular physicals and nothing has been found wrong with me. I am only 30 so it cannot be menopause.

The night sweats are absolutely miserable. Every night. They are drenching, they drench the sheets and my clothes. Last night I had to change clothes four times. I am terribly sleep deprived because of this and so frustrated. It is even ruining my marriage because most of the time I have to sleep on the couch because my husband thinks it's gross which it is. I am laundering four outfits and the sheets as we speak. I am so upset because of this!

I cannot take anymore. I even cut my Celexa down to half. Yesterday, I cut down even more to one-fourth but the sweats still continue.

I assume I have to go off the meds completely to find relief. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it normal for this to be so bad? Will it stop right away after I stop these meds or does it take awhile?

Thanks,

Angela

Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: Celexa and Night Sweats -- Miserable, Need Advice!

Talk to your doctor and tell him you'd like to try other meds. I've seen similar stories from some people. There are a host of other SSRIs you can try. zoloft always worked well for me. Or....try a different class, like a welbutrin or cymbalta. Unfortunately it might take some trial and error to find one that works for you that has tolerable side effects. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I had the same thing with Celexa. I had to take my dose in 2 doses. 10mg in the AM and 10 in the evening.

Air purifier, window open and cool clothes.

If it persists talk to your doctor. It isn;t good to start messing around with your doses.

How long have you been on it?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

I've been on it for about eight months.

He knows I cut down to half awhile back. My goal is to get off completely because I think I can handle things without the meds. My depression seems to have gone away and during the healing process I learned lots of techniques and therapies to use.

I know about withdrawal and don't intend to have it. So I am cutting down slowly. I am just tired of having to be on meds. I want to learn how to regulate my chemicals naturally if in fact they are unbalanced, which I don't know if they are.

So far, no side effects from the reduction. Just the intense sweats every night. They seem to have gotten worse since I reduced...don't know what's up with that but I don't want to go back up, I want to get off.

Thanks

Angela

Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I never had problems coming off of celexa. Good luck and drink lots of water!!! It helps

Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

ltd1010 HB User

Hi, I've been on Celexa for about 4 months and I recently started experiencing he night sweats...Im so glad to see others have had the same experience. The strange thing with me is I work out several times a week and never do more than perspire...I've been this way my entire life. I run 3 miles along with mild weight training in one workout and have never dripped sweat. Last night I woke up drenched! This has happened a few times now. The room was very cool, the air conditioner on high and I had to take off my wet clothes...wondering why this is happening. It doesnt happen every night. Thinking back...it may correspond with me eating high sugar foods late in the evening...I am going to pay more attention and keep you posted. Please let me know if you can find any relief.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

I take Lexapro and I also experience the night sweats. I dont have them every single night, and I can't figure out a pattern. When I DO have a night sweat, I am soaked and so are my sheets. It IS a pain, but I guess it's a side effect I can deal with since Lexapro has really helped me!

Closed Thread