It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

angelight80 HB User
20 mg of prozac (generic) is that a large amount?

Hi everyone,

I am 32 years old and have suffered varying degrees of depression for MANY years and anxiety. Right now the depression is MAJOR and the ANXIETY/PANIC is horrific. I am really just coming to terms how bad this has all been for me in my life right now, so it is difficult to talk about As I have always just toughened up. I have a lot of shame and feel weak, like I should be able to fight this....I have also had a very traumatic life which is too much to get into right now. And endocrine health issues.

But my main questions is, I finally broke down and went to see a psychiatrist almost 3 weeks ago and he put me on 20 mg of prozac - the generic b/c I currently lost my health insurance. Also, he tried me on Ativan (1mg 3x daily) because the ANXIETY is unbearable but that didn't work too well so he switched me to Vaium 10mg 3x daily which I took for about a week and I guess b/c the prozac took the edge off a bit I was able to now reduce to the Valium to only 2x a day (10mgx2).

So, in all it has been about 18 days since the prozac and I have had brief moments of feel a tiny better and then down again.

Is this normal when adjusting and is 18 days too soon to really see a difference? Plus right now it is pms time (more like PMDD I think).

Also, I see the dr. on Fri. and I don't know if I should ask for an increase in the Prozac as I had a psychologist tell me that 20mg is A LOT and that it should be making a huge difference by now. I am so confused and feel hopeless, hanging on by a shred. The only comfort I have is the bried moments I felt of feeling like my old self. I guess the PMS-stuff isn't helping.

So, if anyone can answer my questions that would be great? Is the 20mg of Prozac and lot and I should be seeing more results by now?

Also, I am really scared about getting addicted to the valium but the dr. said not to worry right now as we need to get the anxiety under control.

Thank you a million for any guidance/support/advice offered. I truly mean that! This is just so rough and believe me I have had some pretty tough things happen in life but this is bad...

Take care,

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: 20 mg of prozac (generic) is that a large amount?

No 20mg is not a hogh dose. Prozac takes about 6 to 8 weeks to work (for most). Give it more time.

Your Dr. is right. Don;t worry about the valium right now. Get things under control. Get feeling better and stronger and then come off.

I know how you feel, I have anxiety, panic and depression as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

Hi. sorry you are feeling so bad. I've been there. BELIEVE ME. I know exactly what it feels like to just ''hang on''.

i tried and tried to fight major depression without medication too but i couldn't not do it anymore. after doing self harm i had to admit to MYSELF that i needed more help then just talking with a counselor. i needed medication.

i tried a couple with my primary doc. did not stick with them. my counselor at the time talked with me about how psychatrist know alot more about mental problems. me....mentall ill??? ya....something i had to admit to. felt so weak. still do. having to rely on an antidepressant.

currently i am taking generic prozac too. it took a GOOD 6-8 weeks to really notice and feel a difference. 18 days is not long. give it more time. believe me if this is the antidepressant for you you will KNOW its working. i can say that cause i tried a couple of them. paxil made me nausia. zoloft made me so anxious. celexa worked for a while. we had to increas it then it made me very irratated. so now i'm on prozac.....what a difference. i still dont like taking something but depression is NOT something you can fight alone. i tried. its not going to just go away and you can't...at least i couldn't...just get over it. its a disease that needs meds.

well, just my exp with this dibilitating disease.......

oh, ya....i take 20mg capsules. EOD i take 1 and EOD i take 2. my psychatrist says it evens out to 30mgs. whether or not that i high dose i dont' really know.

Last edited by Mokie; 11-07-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Prozac dosing ranges from 20-80 mg. according to various websites. I guess it's a good thing your psychologist isn't your prescribing doctor.

Your PMDD can absolutely impact any good the fluox. is doing. After you get your AF, you might see an increase in feeling better due to the fluox. But still, 20 mg. is a small dose.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
(female)

angelight80 HB User

Thank you SOOO much to all of you that answered. I can't even tell you how much it means to have support and understanding that I received here.

I feel bad because at the moment I don't feel I have much to give to others in terms of support. Believe me that is NOT my usual personality. I do care so much.

It is just so hard to write and express how I feel or to give advice when in the middle of this NIGHTMARE.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for giving me a sliver of hope with all of your advice. This is one TOUGH battle to say the least.

I will write more soon and I wish and hope that you all succeed in your battle with this.

Marie

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Don't worry about giving back when you're still struggling. It's not a pay as you go or pay it forward here, it's more like, pay if you can at some point, but lots of people don't want to think about it once they feel better but there is always someone here to fill in.

When you see the doc today (Friday), s/he should ask you questions about how you've been feeling etc., and will most likely be the one to suggest an increase. I don't know if you're a new mom, but you said "nightmare" so it made me wonder--that's how new motherhood was for me. If you are, it's common to be on 40 mg. or more of the Prozac before it really makes things calm down.

Let us know how things go at your appointment.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
(female)

angelight80 HB User

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I just always have that guilty feeling like I am not giving enough back. So what you said really helps. Maybe those feelings stem from the depression or from my past.

In answer to your question, no I am not a new mother but what is interesting is sometimes when I have heard new moms describe postpartum depression I feel a lot of the same feelings, if that makes sense, like the emotional feelings, but I guess depression in general causes a lot of similarities. For me the pms or pmdd is a true nightmare as I have endocrine disorders which I think really made this all worse. I have pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome), hypothyroidism (well treated though) and empty sella syndrome and a possible pituitary tumor (drs. couldn't agree on what they say on my MRI).
The hormone doctors were a nightmare to deal with and I finally lost my health insurance so I can't do much at the moment anyway about any of these things. I just know I am not myself at all. Plus, a few years back my little brother (18yrs old) was killed in a car accident, my other brother turned to drugs badly and a bunch of other things. I guess I could only handle so much, yet I still feel like I should have been stronger.

I will tell you though, the panic attacks are the absolute worst. I literally feel I am going insane.

Sorry didn't mean to write a novel. But thank you again for your concern and kind words. It helps tremendously!

I will see the doctor this afternoon and I will see how it goes. I am a bit afraid about increasing the prozac as I am not sure if I am getting more anxiety or not.

Take care,

Marie

Closed Thread