It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

angelight80 HB User
Psychiatrist upped prozac from 20mg to 40mg-a little scared

Hi,

I am starting a new thread as I am not to sure if my old one was getting too long (I am new here and don't want to do something wrong).I saw my doctor yesterday. He decided to double the dose of prozac (generic) from 20 mg to 40mg. I feel scared that I will have lots of side effects and won't be able to function and I know this probably sounds crazy but will this dose cause any long term brain damage? Sorry if I sound a little crazy but I have anxiety and panic too. I told him I would rather go to 30mg first and the next week go to 40mg. He agreed. He said that once this depression breaks we can see about lowering the dose. I am scared that 40mg is a high dose and I must really be ill. Oh, and I have been on the 20mg for 3 weeks now. Does the increase also take several weeks to work too?

Also, originally he prescribed valium 3x daily at 10mg but I only took it 2x a day as I am deathly afraid of becomig addicted to it as I have read all kinds of horror stories. Isn't that a lot of valium? He said right now it is important to do things this way and take it 3x a day to get a handle on things. I have trust issues with doctors also, although he is very nice and not overbearing or anything.

My other issue is that I need to get a new job and I don't know how it works with drug testing (I have never taken any type of illegal drug in my life) but don't they test for benzos (valium) and can they tell if you are taking prozac too? The doctor said he would write me a note to say I am on valium for medical reasons but I know how potential employers are....when it comes to mental issues.

Forgive me for feeling this way but I feel so overwhelmed and like I will never be a normal member of society again and that I will have such a hard time getting work and I don't want to be labeled. I just have had SO many bad experiences with people I thought I could trust using things I confided in against me that I feel just a bit paranoid, plus I am sure the depression isn't helping any or the anxiety.

Sorry for rambling and I don't want to come across like I am feeling sorry for myself, just feeling hopeless, scared and overwhelmed.

Thanks for listening!

Marie

Last edited by angelight80; 11-10-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: forgot a question - can 40 mg really make a difference if the depression is severe? I felt a tiny bit better on the 20mg?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: Psychiatrist upped prozac from 20mg to 40mg-a little scared

hey, 40mg isn't that high. some people are on 80mg. i am on 60mg celexa which is another SSRI anti-depressant. if you do get side effects make sure and talk to your doctor, hopefully you won't. also don't be scared about addiction, as long as you wean it's fine.

hope this helped.

zoe.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Yeah, I think any changes in what's been working can be scary until you can test them out and see that it works out. I remember being freaked that I got a generic med when I got out of the hospital--it looked different etc., so I was anxious as all get out. But it did work out.

Going 30 --> 40 isn't a bad idea. You'll still get to the same destination after all. And no, 40 mg. isn't high. It's in the middle. And dose really doesn't mean anything about being more or less ill--it may have more to do with metabolism or body make up or sensitivity. The fluox/Prozac will start to calm your anxiety & panic down too, once you get to your effective dose.

I asked a psychiatrist about the drug testing, but it was just about the antidepressants, not the benzos. Remember, you probably won't be on the Valium for long.

(the people who would think you are feeling sorry for yourself don't come here--they're the ones who don't have a clue)

Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Gosh slow down and take a deep breath and relax! Your doctor is not out of line with his dosage...it is a normal progression of increasing. Your doctor tells you to get the depression under control first...which is reasonable and will probably help you in your job search/find. As for the drug testing it will not detect your prescription drugs ...can you imagine how many thousands of people taking prescription drugs if they all turned up positive for drug testing?!just street drugs. Your health care is no one's business so they aren't allowed to even ask the type of questions relating to your health at interviews and do not volunteer any information. Good luck...your doctor is right you need a higher dosage.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

angelight80 HB User

Thank you to all that responded. It REALLY helped me to feel better.

I do geniuinely appreciate the support. I will let you all know how it goes.

Take care,

Marie

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Marie~
Just saw your post this a.m. and can understand your concern. My psychiatrist (had never seen one until now) weaned me off effexor sr and slowy had me up my prozac also, she wants me to up from 30 to 40 mg also and I've been hesitant to do it but may try that tonight (take it at 6 p.m.)..thought I was doing much better on the 30 mg but over the week-end just have felt down, worthless, NO energy so maybe I need to go to the 40. I am also on xanex for anxiety but only take one at bedtime (0.5 mg). Am at work and my mind is a jillion miles away today.

Keep me informed on how you do, so nice to talk to someone.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

angelight80 HB User

Hi there,

Nice to talk to you too. I took the 30mg today and feel a bit sleepy and not as anxious as I normally do. Knock on wood I am afraid to say anything.

I am supposed to go up to 40mg next week. I hope that it works for both of us. It is really scary when trying something new and hoping this will do the trick.

I sure hope it works for us! Everyone on here really helped me not to be afraid to up the medication, as that is a very big fear of mine. I can't believe how wonderful people are on here to talk to. I hope when I am am back to myself I will be able to return the support.

Anyway, good luck and try not to be afraid to increase it could just do the trick.

Marie

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

My psychiatrist upped my Prozac dosage from 20 to 40 and put me on Anafranil. I thought I was going to be a drooling zombie! I was terrified to take the pills, but I did it. Since then I've felt much better.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Hey thanks guys~
Stayed with the 30 mg. last night but think I will wait until Friday and see how sleepy it makes me on Saturday. Started my b vitamins again as think they did help but quit them for no good reason. ha Just HATE taking so many pills ya know ? But if they help guess I need to take them.

Good luck to all of you and please keep me updated.

Closed Thread