It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
I'm hesitating to take Effexor 75mg XR + Xanax 0.5mg

Hi,

2 weeks ago I have seen a dr because I have been feeling sick and tired for years, all the drs that I have seen said that it's in my mind and nothing is wrong with me at all. This last dr told me that I have Anxiety and Depression and I must take some medications. He told me to take Effexor 75mg XR in the morning and Xanax 0.5mg before bedtime.

I took it for 2 days and I felt better but I also felt fatigue and tired. I stopped taking those meds after the second day. I'm scared to death from the side effects but at the same time I can't live like that and I need help from medication.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: I'm hesitating to take Effexor 75mg XR + Xanax 0.5mg

The fatigue should pass, as sometimes when starting a new med, that happens, along with some fogginess and maybe some dizziness. Give it about a week or ten days to clear up. Are there other side effects you are worrying about?

Not sure about the xanax. I've never been a fan of prescribing that on a daily basis, as usually after 4 months or so you have a tolerance to it...so it doesn't do much good. If it's "as needed" then I can sort of understand it, but....

have you tried therapy for either problem? That might just do the trick. I would try that before meds. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Yes I have high BP and I'm worry that Effexor would raise it more. But I have been told that 75mg is not the dose that raise blood pressure. Anyway, I will wait for 2 weeks to meet my dr and see what we can do.
Therapy didn't do any good
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 11-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

maybe you'll want to talk to a pharmacist about the interactions. I think with side effects like high BP...you might just have to take it and watch what happens. There really isn't a way to know what side effects will show up. Maybe take your BP everyday, and go from there. I know it's a daunting choice sometimes, but being functional always wins for me good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes we can't tell what side effects we might get before trying the medications, that is the one thing I have learned from using my High BP medications.
Thanks for your support and help
Michael

Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Hi Cartner. If you are sensitive to side effects perhaps the dr. can start you off on a lower dose. I've always had a tolerance for meds and I remember effexor helping me to function normally for a year. Xanax is something I stay away from because of past abuse with it so can't help you there. Good luck with talking with your dr.!!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Hi - Just my 2 cents, but I wish I would have never been prescribed Effexor.....It works, yes, but when they reduce the dosage, the side effects from this are horrible. Once, I had an incompetent psychiatrist take me off Effexor cold turkey, not a good thing...got very sick. Now, I am afraid to go off it for fear of feeling like that again. I could not function normally for 2 weeks or more until I begged my doctor to put me back on it. (Probably just needed a dosage increase, not a whole new medication.) Docs say antidepressants aren't addictive, but I feel that they are. With every change of medication I have had, I have had some side effects but effexor is the worst by far. I took Xanax as well, but developed an addiction issue with benzodiazapines so I can't take those anymore. I was given BuSpar, which helps some but not a lot. It is safer though. Good luck, and I did not mean to scare you away from effexor, just my personal beliefs regarding this medication...

Last edited by KellyCz; 11-24-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks all for your comment, kelly I know that Effexor is difficult to wean off. But I don't want use it forever, I just want take it until I feel better so maybe for 1 or 2 years.
kelly what is your dose of Effexor?
Do you think that a month would normally be enough to wean off effexor? could you tell me what you have felt when you reduced the dose?

positivity17, have you been all to wean off Effexor in 2 weeks?
Thanks for your help,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 11-24-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
(female)

lanessa22 HB User

i'm bipolar and at one point was on effexor and xanax. I became manic while taking them and got off them right away, they are two medications i do not recomend to anyone. I have to tell you though most medication given for anxiety or depression tend to have a side effect of fatigue or tiredness, or something all there oun, but usually the fact that they help with the depression and anxiety out weight thier side effects. I have found celexa to be a good medication, and if i remember correctly buspar is a good one too

Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
(female)

sue84 HB User

i am new to all of this but i think it will help me, anyway i was started on effexor 75mg two years ago and the feeling was horrible.. for two weeks i was really sick,dizzy and very moody. my dr said it would wear of. all i can say is it eased off and i was like that for a year. if you can get a different med i recemmond you do so.. i now take lexapro and its helping but nothing helps overnight. and please dont stop taking any of your meds i have tried this and again was very sick get help fron your dr

Old 11-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Actually, I don't feel horrible. I feel dizzy, sleepy almost all the time but I also feel calm and a little bit better. sue84, did you wean off Effexor ? did you was on the XR version? the extended release one is far more better than the immediate release one. I have read that.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

I don't know if this is related in a way or another, but when I drank a cup of coffee I felt a lot more better. Not being very dizzy and tired. I haven't drunk coffee for few weeks but I don't see the relation between coffee and the medications.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Cartner -
I currently take 225 mg. of effexor. When the doctor took me off it cold turkey, I had the following symptoms: dizziness, extreme headache, diarrhea, hot/cold flashes, stomach upset (severe, could have vomited, but did not) and probably most bothersome I had what I like to compare to an electric shock to my brain. I have heard others refer to this as brainzaps. Like I said, I was only off it two weeks (from one psychiatrist appt. to another) because it was not tapered down properly so I got very sick. I am sure if it is done properly, it isn't so bad, but that was not my experience. I can not answer the question as to whether a month would be long enough period to safely discontinue effexor.

In response to your other post, it may not be the medication doing this. If you were used to drinking caffeine and abruptly stopped, it could be withdrawl. I went off caffeine for a short period and did it slowly and was fine. When I started drinking caffeine again, the minute I don't have it for a day or so, I get a headache beyond belief. So, I really don't think this is related to the medication.

Last edited by KellyCz; 11-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I weaned off coffee through the last month or so, I start to get tired after I take the Efexor XR 75mg capsule. I hope that after a week or 2 I will get better as everyone is telling me, because antidepressants work to balance the brain's chemicals.

Have you had symptoms when you started Efexor? are you on the XR version?
Thansk for help,
Michael

Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
positivity17, have you been all to wean off Effexor in 2 weeks?
Michael, When I weaned off of Effexor I had some discomfort but I didn't feel too badly, nothing like what I've heard from others. I have a tolerance to meds in which I rarely experience side effects. The biggest side effect that I ever have is sleepiness and that usually means it won't work for me. Good luck! -17

Closed Thread