It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

interstate495 HB User
paxil verses prozac

would like opinions on this, my daughter has switched from paxil which I didn't think made a big difference for her mood or depression to prozac has any one done this combination and what were the results, was prozac any better?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: paxil verses prozac

Never tried Paxil long enough to notice a differance. But I can tell you that i really liked prozac. It is wonderful medication in my opinion. Takes a few weeks to get in your system like the others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

interstate495 HB User

Thanks for your input, I am hoping this will be the med that is able to help her

Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

In my experience Paxil is one of the top antidepressants in terms of potency but it is also really picky on who it works for as the chemicals it works on needs to match up really well with what the person is lacking. I was on Paxil for a week or so before it put me into the hospital as it made me manic very quickly along with a bunch of others things as I was over loaded with the wrong chemical. Prozac is not as strong nor as picky as Paxil but it does seem to work for a large number of people, I have never been on it. Prozac is one of the few antidepressants that are approved for teenagers. On a side note Paxil is as addictive as Effexor so you really need to come off of it the right way.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Hi,

I am on paxil. I went from prozac, to celexa to paxil. Paxil for me was the better of the 3, and had the least side-effects. But it does have bad withdrawals, e.g. you miss a dose or two you will definitely feel it. This can be anything from dizziness, to agitation, to even mania and aggression, but as with most meds this varies person to person.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if it is working. If the med isn't working it might be best to get out while you can and change to another med. Once you are using it for a while you're in for a long run. I say that because the longer you have been on it the harder it is to come off like trg247 said.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
(female)

interstate495 HB User

Thanks for all your input, my daughter was very tired all the time on paxil seemed unnatural for a teenager she does seem like she has more energy on prozac although she has only been on for a short time

Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I have had a much better time dealing with the deppression while on Paxil. I have gained 70 lbs tho. Was thinking of trying wellbutrin but have heard some bad side affects attributed to it.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
(female)

interstate495 HB User

Yes paxil does seem to cause weight gain, the doctor told us that prozac has the opposite effect, I did some ****** searching and I believe it said when it was first introduced in the 50's it was for lowering blood pressure and weight gain?

Closed Thread