It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

momof2gr8kids HB User
Antidepressants and No Motivation - Need help

So far, every med that I've taken for depression seems to result in me having ZERO motivation (actually more like minus something if that's possible). This is both at home and at work. I do the bare minimum to get by, and sometimes not even that. I've taken in the past - Lexapro both alone and then with Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin made me kind of antsy and angry, so that was replaced with Provigil, which looking back, seemed to be the combo that worked best for me so far. Then I started to feel better, so didn't renew my scripts....needless to say I ended up in my doctor's office in tears and he started me back on Cymbalta this time. While some of the sadness and angry feelings I had with my depression have been moderated, I am a total slug. I just don't care enough about anything to give it my attention for any length of time. I feel tired and like everything is a chore, whether it's physically or mentally, I just have no motivation.

I am 41 and a married full time working mom of 2 young kiddos, age 6 and 3. My 3 year old has had health problems in the last year and a half, which is what made me decide to see a psychiatrist in the first place, because I knew I needed to get it together for her. I don't feel like I've succeeded in doing this yet, though.

Before my depression, I was always a go-getter and high achiever. I enjoyed keeping a nice house and took pride in how I decorated it. Same with my work....I was always the go-to person. Now I feel like I just want to stay under the radar and collect my check.

I'm just wondering who else has struggled with this, and if I will ever be able to find a med that doesn't have this side effect for me. Or is this something that I just will have to deal with and somehow summon up the motivation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Antidepressants and No Motivation - Need help

Hi;

I don't understand why the doctor didn't put you back on the med combo that was effective, this seems to me as the logical step to take.

Lack of motivation is a main side effect of depression and some meds seem to encourage this. What I have done to fight this is to make a daily routine and force myself to follow it ..... it is just me at home so I would imagine this makes it easier to follow then it would if I had kids in the home. Anyway sometimes you just need to force yourself to do stuff that you have no motivation to do and hopefully once you start doing this things in this area will start to improve.

Everyones battles are different in the amount of time it takes to get back on the healthy point. Some people get through it really quick then there are others like me who have taken years and still not there. Your on the right path with therapy and meds and seeking more assistance through sites likes this now it is just a matter of time and how much work your willing to put in.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread