It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

simplyj HB User
How long does Zoloft stay in your system???

I am currently taking50 mg of Zoloft per day. I am in the process of applying for 2 jobs that I really want but they both require drug tests. So my obvious question is how long does it take Zoloft to leave my system? I know that if I indicate that I am taking an antidepressant, I will not be hired for either job. Here in the US, there are 2 types of drug tests (1) is the 5 point test that detects illegal drugs (2) the other is the 10 point test that also detects antidepressants and if I am administered that test, I will fail. Please...anyone with info on this please write back.

Thanks,

Simplyj

Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: How long does Zoloft stay in your system???

I am not able to answer questions but I have a questions..... why would they care if you were on a anti dep. Especially zoloft. it is used for so many things. Like - sleep disorders, PMDD, Narcolepsy and I am sure there are others that I donlt know of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

The half life of Zoloft is about 26 hours. For a good explanation of half life, try a search on the net.

Last edited by Survivor3; 12-20-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Thats wrong to not hire you because you take zoloft...it can be used for other things besides depression...if youa re female it is used for pms too. also, most companies do not use the 10 panel test..too expensive..and the 5 panel does not check for ssri's.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
(female)

simplyj HB User

Thank you for the feedback. I did not realize Zoloft was prescribed for other types of things such as the one's that have been mentioned here. I didn't take my meds yesterday and don't plan on taking them today but I'm so concerned about the drug test results because it looks like both jobs hire PRIOR to having the results back from the tests and if they come back positive, they dismiss you from the program immediately. I'm worried I wil be humiliated in front of my peers over something that I am taking that is completely legal. Anyway, thanks for the info...and if anyone has more input on this, please share.

Thanks,

Simplyj

Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

simplyj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2006 View Post
I am not able to answer questions but I have a questions..... why would they care if you were on a anti dep. Especially zoloft. it is used for so many things. Like - sleep disorders, PMDD, Narcolepsy and I am sure there are others that I donlt know of.

To answer your question...I'm not sure if having a positive drug test result for Zoloft would send up red flags to them, but I'm pretty sure that if it does come back positive, I will get kicked out of the program. One job is for Flight Attendant, the other is for a Security Type position. I'm really looking forward to the prospects of possibly working for either agency and would be heartbroken if I couldn't because of the Meds. I've never taken an illegal drug in my life and the thought of people thinking that I am a "drug user" humiliates me to even think about so I want to clear my body of it just to be sure and feel confident through the training.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

All you need is a note from your doctor saying your taking prescription X for health reasons prescribed by him/her. If the agency does not hire you because of the test turn around and sue them as it goes against the mental health act and it is a case for discrimination. I doubt that the screen is set up to pick up mental meds.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
(female)

simplyj HB User

Thank you TRG, I may have to do that. I have been so stressed about this the past 2 days, and worried that since I stopped taking my meds, I could have a depressive relapse and I really, really don't want that.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
(female)

KellyCz HB User

I am on a lot of psych meds, and have been since I was in my teens. I just took a list of my medications, and why I took them and they didn't give me any problems. Mostly, they look for illegal drugs in those tests. If you don't mess with those, you have no worries. Good luck. Also, it probably is NOT a good idea to stop taking your med like that. I have done it, for different reasons (not good ones) and it just lands me in a worse place than I was before I needed the medication. I don't mean to scare you, but I stopped meds once and ended up in the hospital, not to mention felt physically ill from stopping suddenly.

Last edited by KellyCz; 12-22-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
(female)

simplyj HB User

Thank you for your reply Kelly. I had to rethink getting off my med "cold turkey"
since I did that in the past and had a severe relapse that nearly landed me in the hospital, so I appreciate the caution you've given me. I started taking my med again but as of today, I am going to reduce the dose to half and see how that goes. Thanks to the info I received here on the boards, I looked up the "half life" of Zoloft and now feel more comfortable that I can clear it from my system prior to the tests.

Thanks again,

Simplyj

Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
(female)

ashli2 HB User

I really don't think it's anyone's business what you take. All drug test are for is for doing illegals drugs, if they aren't illegal then they shouldn't care.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
(female)

simplyj HB User

Thank you Ashli2, I agree that it shouldn't be anyone's business what meds I take but unfortunately, me not liking it doesn't make it not exist so I have to find a way to work around it, otherwise I may never get to do the type of job I really love. I don't want to lie on my applications and I definitely don't want people getting the wrong impression by a negative drug result so I had to pose this question on the board and see what options are available.

Thanks again,

simplyj

Closed Thread