It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Tryptophan (Amino Acids) increases the effects of SSRIs

I have read that Amino Acids, especially Tryptophan, increases the effects of SSRIs. And it's being used to treat Depression and Anxiety, I have read that it's safe to take Amino Acids while being on SSRI. Has anyone tried that? what about combining Omega 3 + Amino Acids + Prozac or Effexor ?
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Tryptophan (Amino Acids) increases the effects of SSRIs

I don't know about Omega 3, but I do know that 5-HTP (L-5-hydroxytryptophan) cannot be combined with prescription antidepressants due to the risk of serotonin syndrome (overload of serotonin). Tryptophan is converted to serotonin in the body.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-31-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Thanks for the info, I'm weaning myself off Effexor this week. It has done nothing for my depression.
Michael

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome. Effexor was just the opposite with me: it worked for the depression but not the anxiety. Good luck with the weaning, it can be nasty.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-01-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Actually, I think the weaning off process will be painless for me. When I completely wean off it I will start taking Amino Acids supplements again, becuase my dr told me that it's not safe to take it while being on antidepressants.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Your doc gives sound advice. Let your body adjust before adding any supplements.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, Cartner, your doctor is absolutely right. Also, definitely wait at least a month (or two) after your last dose of meds before taking the supplements. Otherwise, they're probably not going to work as well or they may not work at all because you'll still have the meds in your system. Medications usually hang around in your body for a while, even after you've stopped taking them.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-02-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Effexor XR leaves the body completely after 48 hours. Anyway, I'm not going to take much of the Amino Acids supplements. Only 2,400 mg that contains 18 essential and non-essential amino acids.
Michael

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
(male)

Breezes HB User

Exercise is a way to boost serotonin and other feel good chemicals. There is evidence suggesting exercise may stimulate the growth of new neurons in the hippocampus. Antidepressants are thought to do the same thing. Tests have shown that part of the brain tends to shrink in depressed people. The growth of new neurons may reverse that structural change. It appears to have an antidepressant effect. For me, aerobic exercise works extremely well.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cartner -

Okay, well, just be careful. I don't blame you for going the natural route either. I've been on at least four different antidepressants (Effexor included) along with some antianxiety meds over the last ten years (approximately 8-12 different meds in total) all with various undesirable side effects. The beginning of last year, I finally had had enough and I weaned off my last med, Prozac. I just couldn't take the side effects anymore. I now take 5-HTP and it's working well for me. I had to wait three months, though, for the Prozac to leave my system before I started it. As the pp stated, exercise is great for depression, because it releases the feel good endorphins. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

Actually, when I exercise I feel great although that I feel tired but it might be related to exercising in our hot weather. Anyway, we are in winter and I feel great when I exercise. I have a dislocated shoulder and a torn cartilage in my knee so my only way to exercise is low-impact exercises and light weight training. I do shoulders and arms using not more than 20 pounds dumbbells set, I might upgradeto 40 pounds in the future but that is it.

I started to eat healthy because I can say that fast food, which I have been eating for many years, causes depression and anxiety. I lost 10 pounds and I need to lose more 20 pounds to look slim, I'm not very overweight but I want look slim. I want my knee to be fine without surgery, at least for now.

Back to supplements , you can't imagine how Magneiusm supplements helped me. I have had fast heart rate that causes difficulty breathing, after the first dose of 250mg Magnesium (2 years ago) I felt instantly better. I stopped the Magnesium 2 weeks ago and my heart rate is still great, Magnesium is also related to Depression and Anxiety. But it has no effects on me, maybe calming me a little bit.

I think we don't have 5-HTP supplements in Egypt, it's an Amino Acid, isn't it?
But I have a product that contains Tryptophan, I think Tryptophan gets converted to 5-HTP inside the body. Anyway, I need Amino Acids for building muscles in my weak shoulder and also it's useful for my thyroid condition. I was a little hyperthyroid and now it seems that my lab blood test results suggest I will be hypo in the future, Amino Acids are very useful for the Thyroid so we will see.
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, tryptophan is an amino acid and 5-HTP contains L-5-hydroxytryptophan, so I guess you could consider 5-HTP an amino acid as well. Regarding the exercise, I think anything that gets your blood pumping/moving helps with depression, even if it's not a high impact cardio workout. In fact, I find that if I work out too late at night, that I can't sleep right away because of the elevated mood and adrenalin rush that I get, and I just do weight training. So, there you go. Just take your time, when your injuries heal you'll be able to do more higher impact exercise if you want.

Closed Thread