It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Does Xanax prevent serotonin syndrome?

Hi,

I wonder if Xanax prevents serotonin syndrome. I started to take 2,400 mg of Amino Acids supplements, which contains Tryptophan and it's known to increase Serotonin levels, 3 days ago. I'm on Effexor XR 75mg and since I started it I feel so tired and dizzy, so I will wean myself off it starting from tonight and for a week.

I'm scared that I might get that serotonin syndrome, should I stop taking the Amino Acids until I wean myself off Effexor XR?
Anyway, I'm not feeling any difference. I'm also taking 0.5 mg of Xanax before bedtime.
Any advice?
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Does Xanax prevents serotonin syndrome?

Xanax does not prevent serotonin syndrome. If you feel bad since starting the amino acids, I would either stop them or drastically decrease the amount that I consumed.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User
Question Re: Does Xanax prevent serotonin syndrome?

I am new to these boards. What exactly IS serotonin syndrome? I've taken SSRI's for 20 years and had side effects on some and some have not done anything for me at all. 40 mgs. of fluoxetine (prozac) for the past year and I have no side effects and it seems to do the trick.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Does Xanax prevent serotonin syndrome?

My dr just told me to stop the Amino Acids supplements until I competely wean off Effexor XR, because both increase the level of Serotonin which can caue Serotonin Syndrome.

antiquemother2, Serotonin Syndrome is a very bad condition and my dr told me that it can cause death. It's an increase of the Serotonin levels in the brain, a very bad increase which is caused by using multiple anti-depressants at the same time. Also by using Amino Acids supplements along with that.
You don't have to worry at all, 40mg of Prozac is fine. For me I hate anti-depressant and I will stick to Amino Acids supplements for the next 3 months along with omega 3, vitamin B 6 + 9 and vitamin C. Also I will exercise and use the brain wave technology, which seems to do a great job for me.
Good luck,
Michael

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Personally, I love the 2nd wave of serotonin when I awake in the morning that I get from Prozac. Dr. says it's time release. I must be serotonin deficient big-time. Prozac gives me the right balance to keep from falling apart during the day and to be able to carry on with my life.

Don't get me wrong, the meds in and of themselves do not provide a 'cure' for depression. It's a neurological disorder and therapy gives you the tools to make improvements in your outlook towards your life. I've been dealing with this since my early 30's, now mid 50's. The worst is when people think there is no reason for the depression - to others my life might appear to be perfect and at times, it is. Even people with all the reason in the world to feel good about themselves and their life can be affected by depression. Depression doesn't discriminate. Depression doesn't care about your net worth or marital status.

If you don't deal with depression head on the results can be disastrous. The previous generation would never have thought of seeing a therapist or discussing medication. They drank.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

I would like to see a therapist but it will cost big time, and I don't have health insurance. Anyway, I think that we get depressed because we disconnect from god. By trying to understand that god loves all the Anxiety and Depression disappear. Anyway, medicine has done a lot of great things to us. Antidepressants are great for many people but I have had enough side effects from my Blood Pressure medication, I'm very sensative to medications .
Michael

Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
Hi,

I would like to see a therapist but it will cost big time, and I don't have health insurance. Anyway, I think that we get depressed because we disconnect from god. By trying to understand that god loves all the Anxiety and Depression disappear. Anyway, medicine has done a lot of great things to us. Antidepressants are great for many people but I have had enough side effects from my Blood Pressure medication, I'm very sensative to medications .
Michael
Volunteering is a wonderful therapeutic activity.....I do for several hours each week and get out of my own head for a while. Gives one a break in the action.

Closed Thread