It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Unhappy Don't want to go back to the nurse practitioner

I've been seeing my doctor for a little over a year now for depression. I went in early November, when I had been doing better. I'd been improving over a few month's time, and even began to wean off my Lexapro. Since I was improving, my doctor told me to make an appt. for 4-6 months. I was ok with that, but when I tried to go off Lexapro completely, that's when the trouble started. I've just felt so down this holiday season. I went back to 5mg a day, but it seems to make little difference. I called the doctor's office to see what could be done about my medicine, and they put me with a nurse practitioner because my doctor was booked up for weeks. This was 2 weeks ago. She was alright, but she wants to change my medicine, which I don't want to do. I've heard bad things about Effexor, and Lexapro always worked well for me. I was just afraid to go on a higher does of Lexapro because it makes me tired. She wants to see me back next week. I'm thinking about cancelling the appointment. I had been improving a little these past couple weeks, but today I've been a mess. I've been having so many ups and downs. Part of it is situational stuff - I'm stuck living with my parents, and they're always on my case. I just can't take it sometimes - I have no where else to go - I can't even be alone. It helps to talk to someone, but I'm not used to this new woman, and don't feel comfortable talking to her. I also haven't been taking the new medicine, so I don't see a point in returning. Though, I think something is really wrong because I haven't felt this poorly in a long time. I don't know what I should do. I guess I should try to tough it out, then at the end of the month when they have the new calendar up, call about getting the 4-6 month appointment. I don't want to keep going to this nurse - I didn't think nurses can even prescribe drugs. My script wasn't signed by a doctor. I wonder if he even knows I'm seeing her, and that she's prescribing this (?). Regardless, I don't want to try this medicine. With my luck, it would cause more problems, and I'd do something drastic. What should I do?

Last edited by sunshine0806; 01-01-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
(male)

clyde77 HB User
Re: Don't want to go back to the nurse practitioner

Here you go. I have your answer. I work as a ICU trauma nurse. I work at one of the highest levels a nurse can work and I am good. I am telling you this, so you understand that I have no reason to doubt nurses. However I went to see a psych. nurse pracitioner and was unimpressed. A psych. NP has a masters degree and can prescribe meds. Now a psychologist has a doctorate, but can't prescribe meds. In many instances people talk to a psychologist and see a psych. NP to be consulted for meds. Is this backwards or what? (Rhetorical) The answer is YES. You spend all your time talking to one person, only to see someone with less education to give you meds. This happened to me. The NP, told me she had ADD, now I am not judgemental, but it is nice to have eye contact with the person that is prescribing you meds. She couldn't hold a thought and I had no confidence in her, nor did her empty schedule. A psychiatrist has the years of training and can prescribe meds.

Now don't get me wrong there may be some good NP's. A psychiatrist has many times the training. They go to medical school and have a residency in psychiatry....The residency alone is longer than the NP's masters program.

Family nurse practioners, Nurse anesthetist, and other nurse practitioners are well trained at what they do. But as far as I am concerned Psych. nurse practitioners are severely undertrained and are practicing well out of there league. Go get a psychiatrist......that you feel comfortable with.......and you will be on your way. Look at you providers online, in a book whatever, make the calls. Ask them what is there specialty. You don't want some guy that specializes in forensics. You are not looking for a piece of hair under a couch, that belongs to some guy that killed the other guy. You want someone that specializes in families and your stuff. Keep calling till you find someone. It is now you second job. Sweet baby jesus, it is late, I got to go to bed, cause I gotta work at 7AM. GOOD LUCK. Tell me how it goes and don't give up.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Thanks for your response. I didn't end up going back to her. Maybe I should have. My doctor is not all that great either, and I feel like in a lot of ways I'm worse off now than before I went to get help for this. My medicine has been the one thing that has really helped me, and I hesitated to go back to someone who wants me to switch medicines. I've thought about seeing a psychiatrist (I've gone to one once when I was staying in the hospital, and have thought about returning to him). Psychiatrists from what I understand don't do much more than what a GP does, but hopefully, they are better equipped to deal with mental disorders than GPs. I didn't think I needed that level of care, and maybe I didn't until my doctor screwed me up even worse (see my latest post).

Thanks for your help. I think a psychiatrist may be what I need.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Before I was able to find the right doctor's practice to treat my son's disabling depression and anxiety, I too shopped around and he was treated by a psychologist and the nurse practioner for his meds.

What a mistake! She handed him a sample of an antipsychotic - zyprexa - at his first or second appt., was convinced he was bipolar - which he is not - and after one dose, only one pill, he was out cold for almost 36 hours, facial paralysis, etc....Her answer to me was, why didn't I just go to the ER with him! It was her weekend off!!!!!!!!!!

I could have sued her but I was only interested in my son. I looked up the side effects of zyprexa and we are fortunate he did not suffer a permanent result of her negligence.

Last edited by antiquemother2; 01-14-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Closed Thread