It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

hollywoodsux HB User
Drinking on Prozac with depression

Ok- so I was recently diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder brought on by depression. I was given a perscription for 10 mg's of Prozac. I have now been taking it for about 3 months. I think that I may need to change it, because I still have depression and scary thoughts.
I am 28 and single. We are told to continue to be social with depression- and honestly 28, single and social means drinking. I get panic attacks the day after I drink- but the alcohol makes me usually forget my depression and I have fun while I am out. I know drinking isn't good for you, and especially on prozac- but if I stay in each night I will go crazy (more crazy than normal )
Also- I like to have about 3-5 drinks, I know you are supposed to have 1. I have cut down the days I drink, and I am cutting back on smoking and I drink less when I go out than I used to.
My question is is this ok? Am I going to really get worse, or is there something I can do? I have read other peoples threads about the jitteriness they get when they drink- I get that too. A dizzy feeling that lasts all the night and most of the next day. I really enjoy going out to the bars or having wine with my friends occasionally and want to know if this is OK?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Drinking on Prozac with depression

If you've been taking it for 3 months and you feel it's still not working good, it might just be time for an increase in your dose. Regarding the drinking, I used to drink and tried early on to drink while on antidepressants. Bad decision, it made me suicidal. My dose was low at the time, too, 10-20mgs. Bottom line, alcohol is a depressant and it will counteract the meds, no matter what people tell you. Also, you can't just not take your meds one night because you want to drink. I tried that, too. The effects caught up with me fast and they weren't pretty. If you truly want to get better, don't drink while on meds. I will say this, though: After being on Prozac, my desire to drink diminished and I was still very social and could still have a good time when I went out without drinking a drop of alcohol.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-23-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

The pp is right about alcohol being a depressant and counteracting meds. Depression and alcohol don't mix.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Ditto what's been said so far, Hollywood. And 10 mg. is half a starting dose. Talk to your doctor. As Kittywitty said, possibly an increase is in store--that'd be my guess. Prozac's published dose range is 20-80 mg.

Closed Thread