It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User
Severe depression totally gone- it comes and goes every 5 years- is this normal?

Last year I plunged into a deep depression- I was even having suicidal thoughts- I seldom left my apt, ate myself into obesity (I gained 40 pounds) - then gradually, the depression faded- now it's gone...Mabey its because i got into exercise and the weight is coming off-

This happned before- One year in college I was in the depths of a 5 month long depression, then *poof* it faded and was gone-it was gone for years...but it did come back- and when it did, it came back hard...

Is this common-having a period of years seperate bouts of depression?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

PurpleRose HB User
Re: Severe depression totally gone- it comes and goes every 5 years- is this normal?

Hi, Titanic. Common? Not sure if I know the answer to that for sure (probably is, though). But yeah, it definitely happens. I'm experiencing it myself now. I just posted the same thing a few minutes ago that I suffered major depression years ago, got help, lived a long time with no real depression, but a year ago, boom, it's back (you know what that's like). I'm very happy for you that you've licked yours. I wouldn't wish this illness on my worst enemy. I hope you continue to conquer. And I wish you the best.

Last edited by PurpleRose; 02-02-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: various

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Severe depression totally gone- it comes and goes every 5 years- is this normal?

Depression will keep returning until the reasons behind it are dealt with and not just reburied, figured this one out the hard way. I am hoping by fixing the cause of my depression then it will not return. Every time an issue from the past or a new issue that had connects to the past would show up I would proceed to bury it then I crashed completely a few years ago and my brain will not allow me to just bury it and move on as I did try for a good period so I am left with the option I stated earlier which is fix the cause of the depression and the depression will not return, I am hard wired for depression so I know there will always be down periods but hopefully never to this extent again. Just a thought

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
(female)

lovelifeanyway HB User

Hi
I would immediately see my doc when this onset starts, and start on your Meds quickly... that DAY. Usually if you have true clinical depression you cannot always tell when it will happen, even years can go by. As mentioned just above about finding the reason & its just Burried issues, THAT IS NOT CORRECT, if it is REAL depression, NO burried things or talking to a therapist will make it go away. Take your meds immediately and spend some time with people that Love You (if you can get out of bed, it's tough). Always be ready for the next episode, keep exercising in-between, eating proper food, and visit a health food store for natural suppliments that calm nerves, etc., and reading uplifting books about fighting this, Christian or other!! Also remember as you get older it usually comes more frequently, please be prepared between episodes, it helps to lesson the symptoms next time. If your episodes become more frequent than years apart, stay on a regular anti-depressant along with the other things I mentioned. I have Clinical Depression, it is debilitating. So many people see a therapist over and over and it becomes a waste and all of us that have CLINICAL depression know it only helps at first.

GOOD LUCK FRIEND!

Last edited by lovelifeanyway; 01-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

to say depression can be beaten without the aid of therapy and changing coping mechanisms goes against all the research done on the subject in the last few decades. Medication is used to help lessen the symptoms of depression to allow you to go to work on it. The chemical aspect is a part of it which may require temporary drug usage and for some a possible life commitment to meds to regulate the chemical amounts but this is part of the answer. If depression could be solved as easily as taking your meds and reading a book the majority of us would not be here. I received a diagnosis of severe major depressive disorder three years ago, have been hospitalized twice for a total of three months. For a long time I waited for the meds to solve the problem along with a couple of healthy lifestyle switches yet nothing changed. It was not till I started to look at the emotional and mental aspects that were a major part of my depression then started to deal with them did any change become apparent. Like I said I have been dealing with a severe level of depression for three years and have been dealing with a lesser depression my entire life and so far this is the only approach that has made a difference for me.

If you have a lot of time my journey has been chronicled though my posts over the last few years and by reading it you will see that I have gone down what seems like every path searching for recovery. By my own research and journey and from what I have learned from others the best answer for most people to beat severe depression is a combination of the right meds and therapy whether with a trained professional or on your own by utilizing the experience of others on this site and the resources they offer.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
(female)

lovelifeanyway HB User

I am glad that solution is helping YOU, most people it does NOT! If it is CLINICAL depression, the real thing, talking with a therapist for a short time might be good but not a fix. So many people are still seeing a therpist YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR with no luck no change, just maybe getting over past issues, but that has NOTHING to do with clinical depression. Look up "clinical depression" it is not a life long talking with a therapist issue.

Last edited by lovelifeanyway; 01-28-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi....

The Mayo Clinic says that antidepressant medications, and psychotherapy can be an effective treatment for clinical depression. The medication can alleviate many of the symptoms, while the psychotherapy can help you identify and deal with "triggers" that can exacerbate symptoms.

That's a paraphrase.

If you go to a therapist year after year with no results there are two possibilities.....you have a lousy therapist, or YOU DON'T GET IT.

Lil

Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
It was not till I started to look at the emotional and mental aspects that were a major part of my depression then started to deal with them did any change become apparent. this is the only approach that has made a difference for me.
Hallelujah!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri Lily View Post
If you go to a therapist year after year with no results there are two possibilities.....you have a lousy therapist, or YOU DON'T GET IT.
I agree.....

Closed Thread