It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User
Question Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR??

I have insomnia and feel very anxious, and worry about everything. Dr. said insomnia is caused by underlying depression. Put me on Lexapro 10 mg. which really did seem to help, but I read SO many posts about weight gain that I am afraid to keep taking it. Switched to Wellbutrin SR after 4 weeks on lexapro, but feel even more anxious than before and have to take an ativan .5mg and ambien cr to sleep. Seems to be kind of defeating my purpose. Any success stories would greatly be appreciated. I would really like to take the lexapro but not if it will make me fat and kill my love life life!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

doreen1 HB User
Re: Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR??

Everybody reacts differently to different ADs, I have been on Lexapro for 2 months now started at 5mg and am now up to 20 mgs. It has been a wonder drug for me. I was suffering from severe anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia. Lexapro has given me my life back. I now go everywhere, am happy and content. I still have break through anxiety which my dr. says is normal and should stop when I level off after taking 20mg for about 8-12 weeks. In the meantime I take xanax which I am taking less and less of. My sex drive is still good and I have actually lost 7lbs. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to take.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I also lost weight on lexapro. I was only on it for 3 weeks but I lost 9 lbs. It caused my blood pressure to rise so I went off of it and on to celexa. I was on wellbutrin for about 10 days and couldn't tolerate it. Godbless

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User
Wink Re: Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR??

Thanks for the responses! It sure helps to hear some good things about Lexapro. I started 10 mg. last night and am really hoping that this is the "one" for me. The Wellbutrin SR 150mg. made me feel like I was really jazzed up. Don't think I could have waited it out for another week. Guess I am hoping that if I do get any bad side effects with Lexapro that they will go away when my body adjusts to it.
I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 110 pounds and am just pretty edgy about putting on weight. I am sure there are a lot more success stories out there.
Good luck to all of you!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
(male)

greg1x HB User

I am on Wellbutrin XL300mg, and I agree about the anxiety issue. It has increased my anxiety significantly, but on the other hand has helped the depression...Oh well....Greg

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User

I am still trying to hold out and do a full 6 weeks of the wellbutrin sr, but it is hard. I seem to be pretty snappy with my family and cry awfully easy. I haven't cried this much in years! At $110 a visit I can't be running back and forth to the Dr. to ask if I should be feeling this way. Definately have more energy. Guess I am waiting to wake up and feel magically better and that probably isn't going to happen. Right??

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Lexapro, Lexapro, all the way.

Wellbutrin made me crazy! My depression was horrid, and I balled like a baby. My anxiety went sky high..........I felt like I was crawling out of my skin........

Lexapro, help me in many ways, and I did loose a few pounds too.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User

Thank you himmylover! Did you gain weight on lexapro or have any other bad effects? I think I am just Sooooooooo afraid to take it, but maybe it would work better for the anxiety. Still have to take ambien cr to sleep and I really don't want to keep doing that.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

No honey,

I lost a few pounds, guess because I felt better. It really helped with my anxiety, and I had it bad.

*edited*

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 02-19-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: no off board contact

Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User

Well I stopped my wellbutrin sr COLD TURKEY and started 10mg. of lexapro and I already feel better! I think my wiring is not a match with wellbutrin. It is way too energizing for me. I am already pretty anxious and always feel like my skin has a slight burning, tingling sensation.
I have read a lot of good posts about lexapro and I am going to think positive and hope that it works for me!
Any other success stories would be greatful to hear about!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
(female)

heyyou1263 HB User

I just went off of wellbutrin after being on it for one year. I lost 30 lbs on it, it helped with my depression but i had to rely on valium when my anxiety would get bad. However after abut 7 months on it I started having memory loss, became very forgetful, and some days felt as if i was in a fog.(i'm 44)
I was taken off wellbutrin and after abut a week, my memory improved, my thought process was normal, and the foggy days disappeared.
I just started on lexapro 2 days ago so its too early to tell about it yet.
I was off the wellbutrin for about a month before i was put on lexapro, at first i was fine coming off of it but im pretty depressed now and im hoping the lexapro will kick in soon.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think you are on a road to a great recovery...........good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajulie54 View Post
Well I stopped my wellbutrin sr COLD TURKEY and started 10mg. of lexapro and I already feel better! I think my wiring is not a match with wellbutrin. It is way too energizing for me. I am already pretty anxious and always feel like my skin has a slight burning, tingling sensation.
I have read a lot of good posts about lexapro and I am going to think positive and hope that it works for me!
Any other success stories would be greatful to hear about!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

After 6 years on lexapro, I noticed weight gain. Generaly speaking you don't really gain weight until you have been on it for a while. That said, I only got up to 135 pounds, so I never really gained a lot. However, I have NO sex drive b/c of Lexapro and I am sick of it It's hard b/c the med. helps me so much, but the side effects are horrid.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
(female)

wangela67 HB User

I'm currently on Paxil CR and have done very well on this medication. This drug makes me feel normal again. It has caused weight gain and reading these posts makes me want to switch to Lexapro. I also tried Wellbutrin and it was also way to energizing for me also. I think Wellbutrin is good for someone with symptoms of feeling tired, can't get out of bed, and sluggish type of depression. My symptoms were extreme hyper arousal from anxiety. I couldn't sleep and my mind raced. I don't think Wellbutrin is good for these type of symptoms. I so wanted Wellbutrin to work for me because it has less weight gain, and sexual side effects than SSRIs. It just wasn't a good drug for me. My mom was recently prescribed Lexapro and she asked the doctor about Paxil and the doctor informed her that Paxil has a history of more weight gain issues than Lexapro. I've read a lot of good things about Lexapro. I would stay with the Lexapro if I were you. I may switch one day.

Last edited by wangela67; 03-13-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
(female)

mamajulie54 HB User
Smile Re: Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR??

Update here! I have been taking wellbutrin sr 150mg @2 times a day for 23 days and just feel awful. My anxiety is much worse, cannot sleep, sore joints, ringing in ears and kind of a "numb" feeling with my teeth.
I actually liked Lexapro, but did not like how it effected the "lovey dovey" department! Dr. said to go ahead and try the SR for 4 weeks. Well, I didn't make it. I am starting back on the 10mg. of Lexapro tonight. Maybe the bad side effects will go away after I am used to it. Has anyone had the side effects wear off after some time? I just want to feel good and quit wasting precious time.
Thanks in advance!

Closed Thread