It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

stef74 HB User
GAD or Bipolar?

This is my first posting, so please bare with me.
For 15 years I was diagnosed with GAD and depression. I have been on many different meds over the years and they would work for awhile, but then would just stop.
So finally in Oct. I went to a new doctor and she decided that I was bipolar and had been misdiagnosed. I have alot of the symptoms of both GAD and Bipolar and have always suffered from depression also. At this point I just feel like no one really knows what the answer is.
Well then we changed the meds AGAIN. Well here goes another vicious cycle. I am on lithium (600 mg) , lexapro (10) and Klonopin. On this I still don't feel "NORMAL"-- I am very forgetful, I have ABSOLUTELY no energy, I am losing weight because I can't swallow, I am very weak and the panic attacks are coming back. This past week I just tried lamictal, but the side effects were so bad I had to stop it. I know it supposedly will get better, but I couldn't work like that. I guess I am really wondering what my real diagnosis is. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should try I would be so greatful.
Thanks

Last edited by stef74; 02-25-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
(female)

lv2srf HB User
Re: GAD or Bipolar?

Hi stef,

At one point my pdoc considered bipolar for me as well. Does bipolar "ring true" for you? Do a search to find a "do I have bipolar" quiz thing and see what you think. Also, what does your psychologist think? And if your pdoc didn't say WHY she thinks bipolar, ask. For me I thought it was laughable. It took me a while to figure out why my doc even suggested it--I had PPD (which was all anxiety) and then a bout of can't-get-out-of-bed depression--so then it made sense. But I'm not. Diagnosing is an art as much as it is a science.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

suziecue40 HB User

Wow, you are on a ton of meds. If you don't mind me saying, I actually believe you are on too many. The lithium alone must just zap the life out of you let alone a SSRI, mood stabilizer and an anti-anxiety.
I have also been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and OCD which I truly believe is my case but I have also had two psychiatric evaluation with a diagnosis of bi-polar and was prescribed Lamictal from one psychiatrist and Lithium from another. To this day, I am so glad I did not fill those prescriptions.
10 years ago, in my teens, I was diagnosed with depression and was put on Prozac and later went to Paxil to help my anxiety and OCD. I started on 10mg/day for 2 weeks went back to my doctor and he would ask me how I felt and I would respond, "not much better", and he put me to 20mg/day for another 2 weeks and I would go back and he would ask me the same question in which I would reply, "not much better". I ended up on 80 mg/day.
In hindsight, I believe I reached a point in which it wasn't going to get any better even by increasing my dose. I was the same at 40mg as I was at 80mg. Quite possibly that was as content as my brain was going to be but I was expecting more and wanted a drug that was going to make me permanently happy or completely change me.
I believe, by nature, that my individual personality and character was not meant to be unrealisticly happy which was what I was trying to obtain.

Do you relate at all to the above? Do you feel that you are trying to achieve a state of mental well-being that may be unrealistic?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

susiecue please forgive me for horning in on yalls thread but your post definately struck a cord with me. I definately feel that I also am one of those that will never be truely happy but I know that there is something better than this. I watch our friends and think to myself man why can't I be more like them. The constant worrying is probably my biggest problem.

Steph I am in the same boat as you. I have GAD and depression but sometimes also think I have personality disorder. Good luck to you!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

Yes. Where diagnosing mental illness is concerned, there is no science to it at all. For me, to a great extent, I've come to trust mySELF when it comes to medication. I would hate to think of what I would be like today had I taken all of the drugs that were prescribed to me over the years. I'd probably be dead. Although I do take medication, I always gear it to how it makes me feel. If it helps, I take it. If it doesn't, I don't. Doctors throughout the years have been persistant in trying to talk me into taking stuff. Now I tell them straight out, don't waste your breath. Of course, there are times when a depression is so bad that I know I need help. But still, the bottom line is that I am the expert on myself. I know when something is working and when something isn't. So my suggestion would be that if the medication isn't helping, trust yourself to know that.

Closed Thread