It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

georgi HB User
Is anyone "REALLY" happy with their depression medication??????

It seems like there is always people on this board that are not happy with their depression medication. Maybe that is just the nature of these kinds of boards. You just don't hear from anyone that is really pleased. Guess that they go on with their lives and just don't post. I want to know WHAT kinds of meds are working for people.ANYONE ANYONE????
Thanks for responding,
georgi

Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
Re: Is anyone "REALLY" happy with their depression medication??????

georgi, I take lexapro and I love it. I have been on it for 4 years, and did have a break from it to have another child, but I went back on it 2 days after I gave birth. I take 10 mg and it works really well for me. I do not have any side effects that I know of. I take it for anxiety, but also depression as I have suffered from mild depression to major depression (once), and also slight ocd, over certain things in my life. I have no intention of going off it, unless my doctor decides another antidepressant would be better especially in helping my pain. We have talked about cymbalta, because I am a chronic pain sufferer, but I would have to go off lexapro completely before I went on anything new like cymbalta. I also take valium 2x daily for mostly muscle relaxant, but also for anxiety.

Good luck, and do you have a personal experience with antidepressants, and what works for you?

Kassandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

I agree that a lot of people seem unhappy with the side effects. I take Lexapro and I think it does an amazing job of keeping me out of depression. HOWEVER, I can't stand the sexual side effects. I have NO desire. I am actually currently talking to my doctor about what we can do b/c I can't handle it anymore. It's hurting my dating life bigtime!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

aspidites HB User

My doctor just gave me a prescription for lexapro and I am afraid of the same thing. I have Anxiety Depression, and slight OCD. I want the benefit of the med, but not the side effect of libido loss, and weight gain. Let us know what the Dr. says about the libido!!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

In my opinion, it depends on what does "happy" mean to you. I am not happy with mine, but I know I should be thankful to the one I am on, because compare to the past ADs I have tried, this is by far much better. At least I am able to sleep, and have a bit more enery to carry on uni. I know if I keep on trying, I might find one that is even better, but I am not really wanting to try in case the next one is worse.

But yeah, I agree, the side effects are the worst.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

Aspidites,
Some people experience weight gain while others do not. I think the sexual side effects are very common. But it's worse for some people. For me, I don't even get that excited feeling to be around a guy and I have zero interest in sex. I have been trying to just deal with it for years but I want it back! Right now my doctor has lowered my dosage of Lexapro. We are going to wait three-four weeks and see if that helps.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
(male)

jtelep HB User

I agree especially if the doctor really isn't sure if you're depressed in the first place. I have been seeing a really good MD for the past 2 months or so and after telling him my symptoms (mainly there because of bad mood swings) he diagnosed me as depressed and put me on Celexa 20mg daily. I was told that it takes a while to get into your system and begin working so I gave it a month before my next appointment but I really didn't feel that different. When I told him about the problems with the Celexa and possibly upping the dosage to see if that would help he decided to switch me over to Lexapro and up my dosage telling me that the Lexapro was a much more "pure" form of the same active ingredient found in the Celexa. I went with his recommendation but after about a week or so found that it wasn't even working as well as the Celexa. I went back to the Celexa (20 mg daily twice a day) for about another week but was still fighting back the urge to explode at people whenever I got even the slightest bit stressed. I decided on my own to begin taking (in addition to the 20 mg of Celexa twice daily) 20 mg again just before bed and when all that seemed to do was prevent me from waking up in a bad mood I went back to see him. I gave him several examples of recent days where I wanted to explode and just held it in and then asked him if perhaps the dosage just wasn't high enough regardless of how many times per day I take it (I was beginning to get desperate as this had been affecting my marriage for the past several years and I have been on the verge of getting divorced countless times.) He told me that he really didn't support more than 20 mg at a time at which point gave me a referral to see a psychiatrist.

My whole point in telling you this is that I don't even think I am really depressed and wound up seeing this MD in the first place when I asked my neurologist about whether or not I may be bi-polar due to my mood swings. I asked the MD about what I told the neurologist regarding my concern about being bi-polar and the MD told me that if the neurologist thought I was he would've told me. I don't know what to do. The only thing I do know is that I've been taking St. John's wort forever and a day and it really hasn't helped at all. I take 1000mg of Tegretol daily for my epilepsy which I understand is the same drug used in the treatment for patients who have been diagnosed as being bi-polar and still have these horrible mood swings. Some days I just wake up literally on the "wrong side of the bed". My father was/is like this too (I hope it's not genetic) and now it's just something that I struggle with and with every explosion comes the risk that my wife is going to leave.

I am bringing all of this up to see if anyone has ever heard of amphetamines being used to treat this type of thing. My wife had some Phentermine that she got a while ago for weight loss and discovered she couldn't take it due to it's side-effects. When I began gaining and then worrying about it I started taking them and discovered that every now and again that it would put me in a really good, happy mood for quite awhile. I have also discovered that Aderall does the same thing but it's effects last much longer (self-medicating I know but I am desperate). It works significantly better than any anti-depressant ever prescribed so I was just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this type of drug being used.

Thanks,

J.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
(male)

dlm8751 HB User

They all suck and we're all gonna die anyway so what's the point. I'm kidding . . . well . . . I think I'm kidding. For me its been a subtle ability to recognize the "stinking thinking" and dismiss it to a degree. Sometimes it does catch up with me and consume my thoughts. However, the cycle is less acute. I was on prozac and something else for a long time. Finally, went back after insomnia recurred and doc put me on cymbalta. It seems to do the job, but god help me if I forget a couple of doses. It doesn't have the duration that prozac did.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I take effexor xr--it took a while to get the correct dose to do its job, but not without side affects. Like ofter Ad's, if you miss a dose--you can pay dearly for it--(trust me you'll know). I am sensitive to med's, so when I decided to go on it, I knew I would have them but my depression was so bad that I thought that I was literally going to die.

My last increase in late 2006 caused loose bowels--this does interfere with daily activity, but depression isnt as bad as it was--seems I can snap back quicker. I also have anxiety issues that wear on me--so I think that keeps me off track too.
I am seeing a new dr this week and will find out more about my options--possibly get retested and see if there isnt another mental issue surfacing.
I do not want to start another drug--tried paxil, celexa, zoloft--all without success. The withdrawal is awful--I heard effexor xr withdrawal is brutal, which is another reason I am leary about going off of it, cuz dr will likely suggest trying another "miracle" drug of the day, which really turns me off and seems risky, as I take many other med;s for other medical conditions. I feel like a walking drug store, ya know?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

I've been on meds for about 7 years and I'm VERY, VERY, VERY happy with them! We've had to switch a few times to find the right combo, but we finally got it. I am normal again and don't have bad side effects like loss of libido. It's so easy for us to complain about our meds, but think where we'd be without them. I'm like this again: Meds and therapy (combined with my faith) have saved my life.

Don't give up. Keep searching and eventually, you WILL find the thing that works for you.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
(female)

sarah408 HB User

I have been on Effexor 75mg and Rivitril .25mg for 7 months.
I am VERY happy with the results- I did have a couple months of side effects to deal with but after that things started to change- my mood was elevated and things bounced back into perspective allowing me to work on other ways to deal with my depression and anxiety- ie: diet, exercise, CBT, being around friends/socializing more, using SAD light therapy, vitamins etc....

Effexor is the first antidepressant I have been on and I am happy that it's working and I don't have to switch and try out others. I hope it keeps working as my doc wants to keep me on it indefinitely.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

To the original poster: I have been on Cymbalta since July 2007, and I am happy with it! I have said that many times on here before. The only side effect I ever had was *mild* nausea for the first two or three days. That's it! One other person asked if it makes me feel "numb" (not sad, but not ever happy...basically very little emotion at all). Well, I can say that's NOT the case for me! I am able to feel happiness and every other emotion...yes, occasionally I still get sad about things, but EVERYONE does. That's part of life.

Oh and I don't have any sexual side effects either...Cymbalta has worked well for me, and I plan to stay on it for a long time!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
(female)

Krissy612 HB User

I'm taking Zoloft and it's worked great for me.
I don't spend my days lying in bed wondering why I'm not dead anymore.
=]

Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
(female)

georgi HB User

Well, I have made up my mind, I am going to give Cymbalta a try. I know that I really need to be on something. The doctor thought that Cymbalta would be a good choice for me.[ I also suffer from Cronic Pain and Cymbalta works on pain too] It really helps to hear success stories. I knew that Mike Wallace of CBS really suffered from severe depression. I googled and read his story. There is help out there, It just has to be found. I will let ya all know if it works.
georgi

Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

micowave you can't post to us that you are doing great on your meds and not tell us what they are. Come on now help your sisters and brothers out lol.

Closed Thread