It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

staceymck HB User
Too Emotional- Any treatments?

I have recently been diagnosed clinically depressed.. I'm debating going on meds right now, or taking some sort of homeopathic approach with alternative medicine..

My question is, I'm not sure if my depression is related to the fact that I am VERY emotional person... I am super sensitive and caring all the time, which I think it a major reason why I get upset easily and thus causes my depression.
Does anyone know if there are any treatments or medication that can help decrease the emotional side effects? Do you find depression meds help with this?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
(female)

Sienna8 HB User
Re: Too Emotional- Any treatments?

Hi Stacey,

If you are easily affected by your emotions or feelings, i can suggest you to take supplements "evening primrose oil". My close friend is also experiencing from bad mood swings. anything happen or said can easily affect her. She went to a GP in Australia, whom prescribed her with that supplement. It is not a medicine, it is supplement, so it is safe for any of us to consume it. there are also other benefits gained from consuming this supplement too.

I was told that this supplement really really helps her control her super-sensitivity, and so I has noticed. Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
(male)

Breezes HB User

Group therapy is a good place for identifying reasons behind depression. Being super sensitive is fairly common from what I've observed. The group is a safe place to work through issues like this.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymck View Post
I have recently been diagnosed clinically depressed.. I'm debating going on meds right now, or taking some sort of homeopathic approach with alternative medicine..

My question is, I'm not sure if my depression is related to the fact that I am VERY emotional person... I am super sensitive and caring all the time, which I think it a major reason why I get upset easily and thus causes my depression.
Does anyone know if there are any treatments or medication that can help decrease the emotional side effects? Do you find depression meds help with this?

Thanks!
Personally I cannot vouch for any of these otc remedies....St. John's Wort, 5 htp and SAM-e have been mentioned here.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Actually, being emotionally sensitive can also be a symptom of depression, but I suppose that is a bit of a chicken and the egg thing...which came first.

A small dose of antidepressant will level out being too emotional. But if you are clinically depressed, that's important to get taken care of. Antidepressants work quickly when you find the right one, or they can. If nothing else, give yourself about 2 weeks to try other routes--because an antidepressant, properly dosed, can get you to feeling like yourself again (well, 90%) within about two weeks, for some people. If there's any chance you'll go with antidepressants do not use St. John's Wort. It interacts with it, and needs to be cleared out of one's body for a full 2 weeks.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

even_sly HB User

I myself am very emotional as well. Sometimes it's very hard to deal with because I seem to get really upset when something happens and the person I'm working through it with isn't upset at all?

It also sounds as if you are very empathetic... Taking on other people's emotions as your own... And that causes that sensitivity?

If that makes sense, please know there's a lot of us out there...

I try to remember to put a bubble around me when someone else is sad or angry... To remind myself that it's "their stuff." Sure, it's OK to feel sad for a friend if something's up that's sad... But there's a point where it's just healthy to not take on their full emotions...

A low dose antidepressant may help...

I do Yoga... Gets me out of my "head" and into my heart... Reminds me that "now" is what it's all about... Hang in there, k? (((((Hugs)))))

Closed Thread