It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
Wellbutrin and weight GAIN???

I started Wellbutrin about 6-7 mo. ago and have had nothing but binging and weight gain ever since. Mind you, the reason I went on it was for depression that has been coexisting with bulimia/binge eating for as long as I could remember. My bulimia and restricting was so severe just before I began Wellbutrin that I actually needed to gain quite a bit of weight and increase my bodyfat to get my periods back. Now I'm really not sure whether all this compulsive eating and weight gain since I started taking Wellbutrin are due to it OR if it's all because this time coincides with the time I went on sick leave and went into this apathetic binge mode just because I stopped working.

I felt the Wellbutrin had an effect at the beginning, when I first started taking it, but after a couple of months my depression was just the same as always. Sometimes it hits me so bad and I feel so chronically fatigued (as I always have) that I could just stare into empty space forever. What's worse, I also have extreme rage and irritability.

Would it be better if perhaps I increased my Wellbutrin dose or got off it all together? What about mood stabilizers? Would I be better off on those (I don't have extreme highs and lows, but like I said, I have depression AND irritability. Sometimes they're coexisting and sometimes I'm fluctuating b/w the two.

The last thing I want in all this is for my appetite to be out of control and for me to gain more weight! That will make me more depressed than anything???

Please help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: Wellbutrin and weight GAIN???

For me, wellbutrin made me so anxious and agitated, that I tended to eat more because I was stress eating. I thought I was gaining weight from it, but people told me at the time that I looked like I was losing weight. I tend to eat less on meds that "relax" me and keep me from getting so stressed out. It could be the same for you, in addition to you leaving work. I know I had to stay busy on wellbutrin just to get rid of the nervous energy it gave me.

I don't know anything about mood stabilizers. I would talk to your doctor and see if he thinks the wb is causing the binge eating, or if it is something else.

Closed Thread