It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
(female)

JuneBug86 HB User
Wellbutrin has cured my binge eating!

I used to have a horrible problem with binge eating. I felt like I had absolutely no control over food and whenever I felt sad or angry, or sometimes just for no reason at all I would binge eat. I was binging up to 2 or 3 times a week or more. It caused me to gain about 30 pounds within 6 months. I was miserable because I was depressed and then the added weight from binge eating made me even MORE depressed.

I finally got the courage to talk to my doctor about was going on and he prescribed me wellbutrin. I thought at first that it was not going to work, cause I was pretty much sure than nothing could stop this horrible cycle of binging that I felt I had no control over.

Well now I have been on wellbutrin for about a month and I have only binged twice since then. When I did binge eat those couple of times, it wasnt nearly as bad as I used to, and I felt like I had the power to stop.

I am so happy that finally something has worked for me. I have already lost about 5 pounds just by not binge eating and not having the intense cravings for sweets I used to have. Has wellbutrin helped anyone else with binge eating or any other antidepressants?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

denise2648 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin has cured my binge eating!

I had the same great results with Wellburtin. Lost 40 lbs in about 8 months. However, it has recently stopped working for me and therefore, my binge eating has come back and so has half of the weight I lost (11 lbs of it have come back since this January).

Last edited by denise2648; 07-25-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

Hi dear,

Do you continue to take Wellbutrin for binge eating disorder? It is still effective? I've been struggling with binge eating for so many years now and I am hopeless. PLEASE let me know if it continued/continues to work for you. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

Hi dear,

Do you continue to take Wellbutrin for binge eating disorder? It is still effective? I've been struggling with binge eating for so many years now and I am hopeless. PLEASE let me know if it continued/continues to work for you. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
(female)

denise2648 HB User

I am still on it, however, I am going to see a new dr. next week (mine moved) to try to see if I can get something else because at this point, it's not working anymore. I started Wellburtin in Jan 2009 so it's been a few years now. I have been extra stressed lately because of my job and that is how I know that it doesn't really work anymore-everything bothers me and my binge eating has started and has been bad the past 2 days.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise2648 View Post
I am still on it, however, I am going to see a new dr. next week (mine moved) to try to see if I can get something else because at this point, it's not working anymore. I started Wellburtin in Jan 2009 so it's been a few years now. I have been extra stressed lately because of my job and that is how I know that it doesn't really work anymore-everything bothers me and my binge eating has started and has been bad the past 2 days.

Hi dear, thank you so much for responding. So... you've been taking it for almost 3 years and only recently noticed that it's not as effective anymore? That's not bad for almost 3 years. I thought that the effectiveness wears off after about 3 months or so (as with diet pills). Could you tell me what dosage you're taking? Is it SR? For the past 3 years, I have worked out, eaten healthy and still can't lose weight. This is because of the binges. It ruins all my efforts. All of a sudden I get the desire to attack everything in front of me (for no apparent reason). It really is depressing. Thank you again for answering this post. Have a beautiful day!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

denise2648 HB User

Oh no, it stopped working over a year ago. I am on 150mg and dr. upped dose to 300mg but it actually made me feel worse...like more depressed . So I dropped back down to 150mg and of course that is when my dr. moved so I have been coasting on the 150mg. Like I said ,hopefully when I get to see the new dr. next week he will help me. (I suffer from depression AND binge eating -which are connected of course because I eat and get depressed). When I started taking the Wellbutrin XL 150mg, it literally started working after about 3 days for me and I would say that I had the full effects of the medication for about 10 months and then despite the upped dose, it still didn't make a difference. I know all too well the feeling of wanting to eat everything

Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

"Oh no, it stopped working over a year ago."

How did you manage the depression and binge eating when it stopped working? Was it worse than before or same? I have depression too, but I chose to battle it on my own and not take anti-depressants. I heard so many awful things about anti-depressants that made me scared to even try it. The #1 thing that always prevented me from trying it is because of the tolerance that our bodies develop to it. What's your view on this?

Last edited by LovedByGod; 12-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

"Oh no, it stopped working over a year ago."

How did you manage the depression and binge eating when it stopped working? Was it worse than before or same? I have depression too, but I chose to battle it on my own and not take anti-depressants. I heard so many awful things about anti-depressants that made me scared to even try it. The #1 thing that always prevented me from trying it is because of the tolerance that our bodies develop to it. What's your view on this?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
(female)

LovedByGod HB User

Hi Denise,
How have you been? Did your doctor change your medication or are you still taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg?
I hope you are feeling better!!

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
(male)

TheJohn HB User

I suffer from depression, anxiety and binge eating too from 3,5 years, no drug could cure this, now I take Wellbutrin 300 mg/day from 19 days and I hope that something good will happen.
I become agitated when i don`t eat much sweets (for example 6-7 250 grams cakes in 10 minutes), also is required to eat, after the meal, i become some time depressed, some time only anxious or depressed and anxious, sometimes my mood goes up after meal and i am feeling good but the next day morning have anxiety or depression.
I binge not every day, 4 days binge, one not, or one day yes one not, also i mentain my weight okey and I go to gym too.
Please someone explain me something that i don`t understand, also I have friends who eat more than me also eat much food every day, are fat and they don`t have depression and anxiety after meals ?! WHY ?
And I have alltrough i fight that i don`t eat every day so much.
SSRI antidepressants have only improve my mood, but no motivation, no pleasure from something. When i become agitated and i must binge, i have no motivation to say no ? Why ?

Last edited by TheJohn; 10-15-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: I forgot something to say

The Following User Says Thank You to TheJohn For This Useful Post:
Manergeim (10-18-2012)
Closed Thread