It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
(female)

luvcats54 HB User
Re: Which antidepressant is the more easy to get off

this is off topic but have you heard of Dr.s that would prescribe Prozac 20mgs AND Wellbutrin... Looks like one or the other would be enough.....Thanks !

Old 10-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
(female)

nchantng HB User

in response to the post about prozac and wellbutrin - they are very different drugs in regards to the mechanism by which they work, and what they work on. Prozac is still for many, many people the best anti depressant ever marketed. It is one of the easier ones to come off of, partly due to its very long half life in your system. The newer generation AD's (SNRI's) have far more and in some cases far more severe side effects, and stopping them can be very hard, not because they are "addicting" (I think its really important to keep the differences between addiction and dependence in mind) Wellbutrin is one of the older AD's and is well know for its incredibly benign list of side effects. Most people experience very few, and if they do have side effects, they are not troubling. Wellbutrin acts on Norepinephrine and Dopamine - and its combination with a SSRI which acts solely on Serotonin - is a wonderful combination for some patients whose depression has not been adequately addressed by Prozac alone. Just my two cents worth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
(male)

james0906 HB User
Post Re: Which antidepressant is the more easy to get off

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchantng View Post
in response to the post about prozac and wellbutrin - they are very different drugs in regards to the mechanism by which they work, and what they work on. Prozac is still for many, many people the best anti depressant ever marketed. It is one of the easier ones to come off of, partly due to its very long half life in your system. The newer generation AD's (SNRI's) have far more and in some cases far more severe side effects, and stopping them can be very hard, not because they are "addicting" (I think its really important to keep the differences between addiction and dependence in mind) Wellbutrin is one of the older AD's and is well know for its incredibly benign list of side effects. Most people experience very few, and if they do have side effects, they are not troubling. Wellbutrin acts on Norepinephrine and Dopamine - and its combination with a SSRI which acts solely on Serotonin - is a wonderful combination for some patients whose depression has not been adequately addressed by Prozac alone. Just my two cents worth.
I am on my second week of combining Prozac and Wellbutrin. I am taking 40 mg of Prozac and 300mg of Wellbutrin. I am already reaping the benifits. The Prozac helped lessen the severity of my depression but I still lacked motivation. I wanted to come out from under my rock but did not have the energy to do it. The Wellbutrin is giving my energy back and I have also noticed a decrease in aches and pains. I wish I had been medicated 15 years sooner. Who knows where I would be now. I think all of us know how much depression can hold a person back.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
(female)

luvcats54 HB User

Thank you for the feedback..I've been on 20mgs of prozac close to 10 yrs. I told my Dr. I didn't think it was working as well. So he added the Wellbutrin 150mgs with it.I've only been on it 9 days and when I take it at bedtime like the Dr. suggested...within an hr. feels like my heart is gonna pound out of my chest...So then I tried it in the A.M...walked around dizzyheaded and yawning all day...oh well...I tried it......

Closed Thread