It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

Rimouski HB User
Which antidepressant is the more easy to get off

I know each person react a different way but I want to know from your experience, from what you have heard, what your doctor told you etc.

Thank you !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
(female)

lv2srf HB User
Re: Which antidepressant is the more easy to get off

I've not had a problem going on or off Zoloft.

I've heard the ones that are more commonly difficult are Effexor and Cymbalta. I don't think they are SSRIs, but SNRIs instead. maybe that's the difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

orchardlady HB User

Rim, I have to ask why you are asking?

Why is it important to know what antidepressants others find easiest to come off of?

I find this an odd question. Maybe setting yourself up psychologically to expect to be unsuccessful with medication. Therefore, wanting to know which people find easiest to come down from.

Curious!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

Brownie24 HB User

Yes, everyone will react differently. My psychiatrist told me that in general antidepressants are not considered to be addictive medications (at least in the physical sense), if that's what you're wondering. But I don't see how you can't become emotionally dependent on them though, at least somewhat. I know that I depended on my mine to keep my emotions in check, so of course it took some adjustment when I went off them but I survived. Certain anti-anxiety drugs are different; I believe some of those are considered to have a risk for addictiveness particularly ones taken on the spot for panic. But you need to ask a doctor. Don't be afraid to express your concerns with your doctor. He/she is the person you should be trusting with prescription advice.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

First of all, they can be quite physically addicting.

I had the hardest time with Paxil and Effexor. The easiest one for me was Prozac.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

A number of big drug companies are being sued for what is known as the discontinuation syndrome which in english means addiction. Both Effexor and Paxil include this risk with their literature now.

That being said if you are making the decision to go on antidepressants they do take upwards to six weeks to become effective, all of them have side effects to some degree and the chance of being on them for six months and longer. Antidepressants are too easily prescribed now a days when they should be the third or forth on the list after making health changes, seeking therapy, trying over the counter helpers and then the topic of antidepressants should be approached.

When it was time for me to start antidepressants the focus was getting out of my living hell and not concerned about the potential of problems of coming off of the meds. I have been on this board for a long time and have been on what seems like every antidepressant and what I have observer regarding antidepressants is what may be heaven for one may be hell for another. With any mental med there is a risk.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 05-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Effexor was by far the hardest. Then Zoloft. Prozac was ok.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
(female)

jasaac HB User

I just these week weaned off of Effexor. It was terrible. I was exetremely fatigue and lathargic. I had horrible nausea and brain zaps (feels like an eletric shock in your head). Also had terrible dizziness. I would never reccomend anyone taking this drug. I had a horrible time. I was only on it for 8 weeks.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
(male)

bodieiv HB User

I understand that you may feel "addicted" to the medication.. However, addiction is when your mind and body craves the medicaton.. Like alcohol, cigarrettes and cocaine. But there are major withdrawel sydromes with most anti depressant. When you come off , you just have bad side effects. You are not craving the drug like cigarettes. You are just experiencing awful side effects. But I completely understand what you are feeling/saying about the feeling of addiction.

I should know..LOL I am a addict in "recovery" from active addiction. I was addicted to Klonipan...

The worst one I had was Paxil... I went crazy... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE View Post
First of all, they can be quite physically addicting.

I had the hardest time with Paxil and Effexor. The easiest one for me was Prozac.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
(female)

sobedaya HB User

jasaac, did you remain off the effexor? how long did it take before the withdrawal symptoms eased and stopped?
I've taken it for close to 5 weeks now and can't take the side effects anymore, I've never felt worse than on this medication. I do have a doctor's appointment this afternoon (hubby made it for me this morning) but I refuse to take another effexor. I rather go through the hell of withdrawal than having to take another one of these pills.

Last edited by sobedaya; 09-29-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: adding poster's name so he/she knows it's a question for him/her

Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User

OH GREAT. I just came on here to see what kind of withdrawl symptoms folks had weaning off of antidepressants. Guess what I'm taking? Effexor!
I've been having headaches and think it's due to this med. Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
(female)

sobedaya HB User

I only took effexor for a month but had daily headaches, bad ones at that. Not to mention the other side effects.

This past Monday I took myself off the effexor cold turkey, could not take another one of those pills. the headache I got by doing that was beyond bad, and I also got the brain and eye zaps they talk about, am still getting those but the headaches are mercifully gone now.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
(female)

cocos421 HB User

I was just reading about Paxil last night because my mom takes it. It is the worst anti depressant to come off of. The withdrawal symtoms can be horrible. Now, Effexor is hell to come off of too, however, that is in a different class of meds. It's not really considerd an AD.
I went of Effexor very, very, slowly and it was still very bad.

I recenty went off Prozac pretty much cold turkey but it was replaced with Welbutrin, so I didn't know what my headaches were from.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User

I took myself off of Celexa a few years before I was switched to Effexor and my side affects were horrible feelings of fear and anxiety and I just wanted to jump out of my skin. I was wondering if anyone had this from coming off of Effexor.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
(female)

Azarae HB User

I've been off Effexor(or any antidepressant) for a year now, it took a good 3.5 months to quit having brain zaps & the dizziness on a daily basis. I've found if I take benedryl, it brings them back with a vengeance & I still have them occasionally if I'm very tired.

Lexapro was was easy to quit, wellbutrin also, Celexa was horrific almost like taking meth for side effects for me jittery, unable to sleep or sit still, I had to have ambien after I quit taking the Celexa because I hadn't slept for 4 days, the effects continued for another 6 days after I stopped taking it.

Last edited by Azarae; 10-07-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Closed Thread