It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

sam5935 HB User
Can sexual side effects from SSRIs subside with time?

Hello!
Paxil and Cymbalta instantly made it impossible for me to have an orgasm. Now I'm trying a low dose of Prozac(10 mgs.) combined with 40 mgs. of Buspar daily. almost immediately, my sex drive has plummeted and it's almost impossible to have an orgasm. My doctor says that the combination of Buspar and time -- he recommends 6 weeks -- my cause these side effects to go away. However, my understanding is that the sexual side effects rarely get better.

Has anyone here taken an SSRI and initially had sexual side effects that got better with time? Also, what's this I hear about the sexual side effects NEVER going away for some people? How often does this happen?

Thanks!
S-

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
(female)

balikitty HB User
Re: Can sexual side effects from SSRIs subside with time?

I had this problem when I first tried antidepressents, and stopped taking them. The side effects did stop, but I stopped the meds as soon as I noticed a problem A few years later, I finally was in such bad depression, it did not matter anymore about side effects. But, to my surprise, I didnt have any. I have been taking Luvox (fluvoxamine) for the last 5 years. And this is the same med that gave me the side effects. Im not sure if it was the way I started the meds this time, or what caused the side effects to be absent. I started very slow on the doseage, and slowly went up. I take 200 mg daily, and have been for almost 5 years. The first time I had a bad experience with Luvox, the Dr. told me the sexual side effect was one of the main effects of the drug, which I knew nothing about at the time. I dont know how or why im not effected, the only thing I did differently was start out very slow. And the reason I did this, was to try to establish when the side effects would start, and monitor my meds. This worked for me, maybe helpful to others. I was very sensitive to the side effects, and havent had any since I started taking the meds again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
(male)

deno HB User

Any ssri i went on always effected my sex drive

Last edited by deno; 06-12-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

wangela67 HB User

At first, Paxil caused me not to have an orgasm. My mate and I could try for hours and it never came. After being on paxil for some time, my orgasms are back and even better than they were before paxil. I used to have one orgasm and that was it. I can now how multiple orgasms and it is wonderful. My mate is also on an AD and at first he took him forever to orgasm, however, now he has no problem. His desire for sex is still very strong. Give it some time. Please don't think that your sexual appetite will not change. It often does and for the better. Best Wishes!

Closed Thread