It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
(male)

Robbie89 HB User
Happy moments--bipolar?

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for depression, because at that time I was feeling really depressed for a while. However, I'm having doubts about whether or not I'm depressed, because I often get moments or even several hours where I feel strangely energetic, optimistic and happy.

I assumed I couldn't be bipolar because I only knew about bipolarity as very intense, long-lasting manic episodes followed by extremely severe long-lasting depression. But since I've found out about bipolar II and rapid cycling I'm not so sure. And the medication I'm on (20mg Prozac) says not to take it if you're bipolar so I guess I should know.

Is it possible to have depression but still have fairly happy and energetic moments on a regular basis? Does anyone else experience this?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User
Re: Happy moments--bipolar?

Make sure you are seeing a psychiatrist. They have in depth knowledge of depression and medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: Happy moments--bipolar?

just because people have depression, doesn't mean they are always down. Certainly you can have happy moments and feel great joy. they don't usually happen during a major depressive episode, but I wouldn't go so far to say that never happens.

It's the rapid cycling that might cause a bi polar diagnosis. My pdoc diagnosed me at bipolar II, but I don't know. Personally, I don't worry about it, because my so called "manias" are fine and I remain functional and grounded in reality. I don't see them as a problem. I've gone the route of taking mood stabilizers and everything, but just decided to forget about them. They were more trouble than they were worth...and like I said...I don't see the cycle as a major deal.

as has been said...make sure you go to a pdoc and get some more info.

Closed Thread