It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

batty123 HB User
Depression/Anxiety Alternative to Lexapro?

I just weaned completely from 4 months of Lexapro because my health insurance is refusing to cover it. I am still in therapy and working on CBT but feel that it was too soon to get off meds. My health insurance only approves certain meds, but Lexapro is one of the big step therapy only drugs.

I'm trying to figure out what to try next, if anything. My GP is generally unhelpful as he does not know a lot about psych problems. I went to a psychiatrist for a while but I live in a small town and there aren't a lot of options, so it was not possible to continue seeing my psychiatrist while keeping my job. My therapist discussed prozac with me, which is approved, but I really liked lexapro for it's anti-anxiety properties so was interested in using buspar with it, but then I read online that there is a possible interaction if you take the two together.

I'm not too sure on what doses I should start with either.. My GP again, sorta follows my lead, but in general my drs tend to start me high, and I prefer to be low and increase if needed. What a low range buspar and/or prozac dosage?

I was on Lexapro 10mg and it worked well for the period that I could get it. I know I had "breakthrough" anxiety, but it was manageable.

Any recs?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Re: Depression/Anxiety Alternative to Lexapro?

Geez, you poor thing. You might want to talk to a pharmacist - they're supposed to know which drugs have bad interactions. Sometimes (shh!) they know more than doctors. I'm sorry you can't see a regular, decent psychiatrist.

I take Lexapro and Klonipin (anti-anxiety). If I miss a day, I feel it. However, it's not enough to beat the depression completely, so I supplement with fish oil and flaxseed oil capsules, which are VERY calming (esp. fish oil) and a vitamin supplement called Body Balance. *edited*. It's mostly sea vegetables and very potent in vitamins and minerals. If you can't afford this or find it, you might buy a "green" supplement of some kind and try it - something from a health store that includes lots of green foods in it.

For you, the Prozac and the fish oil together might do the trick.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 06-25-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: anything involving online shops or purchasing is off limits on this board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

batty123 HB User

See I started taking fish oil but I think it was messing up my stomach.. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I take buspar and celexa ( an older and cheaper version of lexapro ). I tried the lexapro but it was too stimualting for me. I started on 15mg of buspar 2 x a day. I am up to 30mg 2x a day. I have been on it for 4 years. I think it is a godsend. I am on the generic version of celexa 10 mg. Not a large dose but does help. Also a xanax once in awhile for breakthrough anxiety which is rare. Usually hormonal which alot of this is, in my case. You can take the 2 together. Hope this helps. Godbless

Closed Thread