It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

Bluehills HB User
Too many meds. Other issues.

About six months ago I was doing fairly well. I have taken several steps backwards. My depression is worse, along with anxiety, paranoia, nervousness and everything that goes along with it including a tense back. I saw my doctor yesterday and she added two more meds for me to take. I was already taking Seroquel, Mirtazapine and Clonazepam. Along with those I already mentioned, I also take Zoloft and Navane now.

Five meds is too many to take, but I'll do it. The doctor wanted to me to try those other two to see if they might help bring me up. I seriously doubt it. I have been depressed for over 25 years and only Zoloft worked once for about four years about 20 years ago. No relief since. I try to deal with it, but it gets so old and draining. I don't work and so I'm home most of the time, except for visits to the grocery store and my mothers. Life is pretty miserable. Don't find enjoyment in things like I used to. And I always feel like something bad is going to happen.

Can't sleep very good either. I use to sleep 'til around 8:00 o'clock. That turned into 6:30. Now I am getting up somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00 o'clock. I can't sleep. Do you have trouble sleeping? The meds I take do help me get to sleep, but after several hours I feel like it's time to get up. But to do what? Use the pc most of the day and watch TV of an evening is what fills my day. I don't care about getting out. It's hard for me to be around people. But it's easier to type on the keyboard and communicate that way.

I do hope those extra meds I'm taking will help, but I seriously doubt it. I have tried dozens of meds through the years. I'm just an experiment. I hope most of you are doing better than myself about now. Thanks for reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User
Re: Too many meds. Other issues.

It's a tough one. The thing with this, especially medication, is finding the balance, that is the key. Sometimes you add, sometimes you subtract it really depends on what is doing what in the way it makes you feel.

I do agree that 5 meds is a lot to be taken, not to mention a lot to be handled by your liver. Sometimes meds alone aren't the solution for some and perhaps in your case. Do you do any therapy? If not, you should definitely consider it. As this will aid you in giving you the correct tools to apply to your life. It might seem like you are going nowhere at first with it, but you will in time.

Definitely discuss this with your doctor, because I think for her to just keep adding more medication is not the answer not to mention a little dangerous. You don't want a cocktail of drugs in your system, as you'll soon head down a slippery slope if your not careful. I'm not saying it's wrong, but just be careful with it.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
(male)

Breezes HB User

My advice is to build a support system. Isolation is a recipe for depression. It is hard to push through. Support groups are good. Talking to a therapist about your feelings may be very helpful. I find that the insight and personal growth gained through therapy is valuable. I would suggest working towards close relationships. Closeness helps protect people from depression.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
(male)

Bluehills HB User

allsorts and Breezes,
Thanks for the responses. After more than 20 years of taking meds I have never taken more than 3 meds at a time. I agree with you that there are too many and I really dislike it. Can only hope that these extra meds will help because I've gotten worse and don't know what to do from here. I respect my doctors advice, but I'm really not sure how long I will go along with it. I suppose several weeks to give the meds a chance to work. I've been down this road of trying different meds so many times. I'm very tired of it.

I have tried therapy many times in the past. I must have fooled myself at one time because I think it did help me for even a short time. That was I guess about 6-7 years ago. As it sits now I really can't afford any therapy even on a sliding scale. Besides I just don't want to mess with it. I have also tried the group therapy, a place where others would meet weekly. It was a free service, but I didn't care for it much and quit going. That was about 4-5 years ago.

I agree isolation can be bad for depression, but I have a real hard time being around people. Bad! I also feel that people tend to judge me too quickly. I grew up in a real dysfunctional family. I won't go into it now. Hopefully time can help heal. Praying might help too. I've gotten away from it though. I should try harder. Thanks.

Closed Thread