It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

orangerain6 HB User
Adderall for depression..

I have gone through several antidepressants with no results at all. I felt nothing on them. I am going to try one more and after that I am going to ask to try another kind of medication. I heard some people say that in certain cases when AD's don't work, doctors an prescribe adderall . I wanted to know if anyone is on adderall....if it helps for depression. Because all of these AD's aren't doing a thing for me, no side effects, no help no nothing. Therapy doesn't do anything either. Suggestions??

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adderall for depression..

Adderall - or any of the stimulants commonly used for ADD - are generally not effective for depression in the long run. A very short course is sometimes prescribed for those with depression to try to "jolt" them out of it. After an initial feeling of well-being on stimulants, however, they generally don't continue to lift the mood. As a result, stimulants are almost never prescribed long-term for depression.

OTOH, there are individuals with ADD who find they are less depressed when their ADD symptoms are treated. Life is less overwhelming without ADD.

Hope that makes sense!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

I doubt you will find a doc who will prescribe Adderall or any stimulant for depression. The good feeling is short lived and the potential for abuse is there. The drug is known to cause depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy turned me in the right direction.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

I was given Adderall along with Effexor for depression, I can't deal with the Adderall, I believe the short time I have been on it, it has made my depression worse, yep, and I am only on 5mgs.

This drug is not for me. It will give you a jolt, but in my eyes, not a good one, I don't like this med, and will be changeing to something in this family, just not so strong.........jittery................

Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
(male)

JayJackson HB User

I've been dealing with major depressive disorder for over 20 years. Main symtoms being fatigue, lack of motivation and lack of pleasure from any activity. I've done inpatient/ outpatient cbt, running (some benefit), the ssri's, effexor (no effect after 3 months and a horrible, extended withdrawl) , street drugs, coffee and cigarettes (not bad funnily) and weightlifting.
Nine months ago I was put on dextroamphetamine 20mg ( a component of Adderal) and have never looked back. I'm interested in stuff, even in people, and wake up in the morning with a feeling of hope.
The depression is gone.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Be very careful with Adderall. If it works for you that's great, it does help some people for a good amount of time. But I want to warn you based on my experiences, that it can do damage sometimes.

I took Adderall daily for ADD, and it made me feel 100% better when I was on it. I felt happy, positive, motivated, ALL of my problems with anxiety/depression/ADD vanished. Then once it started to wear off.... I experienced a depressive crash that was unlike any other depression I've ever felt. Not on my worst day of depression without Adderall, did I feel as bad as I did during my Adderall crash. I'd take Adderall and feel great, then feel horrible once it wore off. I took my second dose and felt great again, then felt horrible after. The constant elevation and drop in my mood day after day started to break me down. I also started to lose A LOT of sleep for months, which made me feel like I was going crazy.

I am not anti Adderall. I still take it, but now I only take it occasionally. I no longer take it every day, I have learned my lesson. Plus I could easily see myself becoming addicted to it. The effects you get from it would make any depression sufferer want to stay on it forever. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by hunter2; 01-14-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
(male)

Tuffjump HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2 View Post
Be very careful with Adderall. If it works for you that's great, it does help some people for a good amount of time. But I want to warn you based on my experiences, that it can do damage sometimes.

I took Adderall daily for ADD, and it made me feel 100% better when I was on it. I felt happy, positive, motivated, ALL of my problems with anxiety/depression/ADD vanished. Then once it started to wear off.... I experienced a depressive crash that was unlike any other depression I've ever felt. Not on my worst day of depression without Adderall, did I feel as bad as I did during my Adderall crash. I'd take Adderall and feel great, then feel horrible once it wore off. I took my second dose and felt great again, then felt horrible after. The constant elevation and drop in my mood day after day started to break me down. I also started to lose A LOT of sleep for months, which made me feel like I was going crazy.

I am not anti Adderall. I still take it, but now I only take it occasionally. I no longer take it every day, I have learned my lesson. Plus I could easily see myself becoming addicted to it. The effects you get from it would make any depression sufferer want to stay on it forever. I hope it works out for you.
My experience with Adderall is about the same. When I first started Adderall it was great then after a period of time (weeks) I crashed big time. Right now I have thoughts of suicide and see no light at the end of the tunnel. I have an appointment with doc this week and try something else.......again.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
(female)

Lovesmycountry HB User

JayJackson, Would you be kind enough to post an update as to how the dextroamphet is/was working for you? I came upon your post & there are many similarities between my situation and yours-I need adderall for add however am very depressed and over the course of 30 years have tried almost everything there is with no success for the depression. I have horrible worthlessness and self esteem, and lately have been wondering how I could "end it" in a way that would cause the least amount of embarrassment to my family. I would like my depression to be helped, but I can tell that my doc doesn't know what else to do. I've tried all the usual suspects-I was hopeful that cymbalta would be different because my brother has done well-but it, like all else, didn't make a dent in my depression. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lovesmycountry:
tinkerbell45 (05-29-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
(female)

ghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB User

I was just put on adderall along with my anti-depressant med.... Seems to be helping me concentrate on my impulsiveness and life in general. I like it! Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ghelpmelivelife For This Useful Post:
Lovesmycountry (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
(female)

Lovesmycountry HB User

And Tinkerbell, thanks for the hug. it made me smile and I am grateful.

Closed Thread