It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

kjackson227 HB User
Lonely Empty Nester

Hello all,

I've been struggling with depression off and on since the death of my mom, and uncle for sometime, now I've just become an empty nester AGAIN, and I'm wondering if there is another medication besides Zoloft or Sertraline that works better. I started back to taking 25 mg. about three weeks ago, and I've been on 50 mg. for about five days now, but I still have these long crying spells, extreme feelings of lonliness, and moments when I just don't feel right.

I've been taking melatonin to help me sleep, but the amount I'm taking isn't much (it's less than 3 mg.), but I'm also wondering if that is affecting me.

Your advice is appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User
Re: Lonely Empty Nester

Aww, I'm sorry that you've been feeling so miserable lately. It's not surprising that becoming an empty-nester again has triggered your feelings of sadness over the deaths of your mother and uncle. And of course, dealing with the emotional challenges of an empty nest is difficult in and of itself.

Perhaps you should give the higher dose of Zoloft more time to work. It could take another two to four weeks on 50 mg before you see any noticeable change in your overall mood. (But don't wait that long to talk to your doctor if your depression worsens.)

If you're not feeling any better after more time on the higher dose, you might want to ask your doctor about trying a different class of antidepressants known as SNRIs. Zoloft is in a class known as SSRIs, which help to increase levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin. SNRIs increase levels of both serotonin and norepinephrine and can be more effective in some patients than SSRIs. The two most common SNRIs are Effexor XR and Cymbalta.

Seeing a therapist with whom you can talk about your feelings might be helpful, too.

Does your doctor know that you are taking melatonin? I've read that it can interfere with the action of some antidepressants.

I hope you'll be feeling better soon. *hugs*

~Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
(male)

preludeforme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson227 View Post
Hello all,

I've been struggling with depression off and on since the death of my mom, and uncle for sometime, now I've just become an empty nester AGAIN, and I'm wondering if there is another medication besides Zoloft or Sertraline that works better. I started back to taking 25 mg. about three weeks ago, and I've been on 50 mg. for about five days now, but I still have these long crying spells, extreme feelings of lonliness, and moments when I just don't feel right.

I've been taking melatonin to help me sleep, but the amount I'm taking isn't much (it's less than 3 mg.), but I'm also wondering if that is affecting me.

Your advice is appreciated
Hi
i became real depressed 3 months ago again
i had to take a large dose of anti depressants instead of my usual small doses over the years ...75 mgs effexor ...it took about 2.5 months before i started to feel different , but i did , could hardly believe it but i did ... trouble is i missed a couple of tabs twice and i felt terrible... but have learned now what this is about ... so if you take regualrily it seems to help but like all these tabs there are a few probs ... so effexor works but never miss tab when feeling better

laurence

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

You don't say how old you are so I am wondering if perimenopause could be part of the problem. It can start in the early 40's. Do you have activites you enjoy? I had a big problem the year I hit 50. Anxiety and depression reared it's ugly head. I know that perimenopause had a lot to do with it. So now I am on Buspar and celexa. I try to walk when able and also get involved in new things. I still have my moments. Give it a few more weeks. Hope you feel better. Godbless

Closed Thread