It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
(female)

sweeterthan HB User
Unhappy Scared to take Cymbalta... Please Help

Hi everyone. Its been a long time since I posted on here. I am at the end of my rope with these meds. In the past 5 years I have been on so many different anti depressants I just don't "trust" taking some pill because the doctor said so but on the other end of the spectrum I have major depression disorder and after a year of being off the meds I am not doing so good. So let me rewind here a moment. Let me tell you all the anti depressants I have tried and they failed me because of various reasons ranging from not helping at all, various side effects, and HORRIBLE withdrawal (Paxil), to loss of libido and unable to you know what. Zoloft, Paxil, Remeron, Lexapro, Celexa, Wellbutrin. Those are all the anti depressants I have been on (in that order) and I can't take them. Celexa was the one I thought was going to be "the one" but after about a year on it I realized it totally killed my sex life. I'm sorry but that in itself is depressing when you are in a loving relationship with the man you are about to marry. I couldn't deal with it anymore, I didn't even feel like a real woman anymore and I know pretty much all SSRI's do that to you so I refuse to take any of them anymore. Ugh.

After a year of being off anti depressants. All I have been taking is the occasional Klonopin for my anxiety. I finally went back to the psychiatrist which by the way is at a mental health clinic because after losing my job I'm now one of lucky 45 million Americans without health insurance. So this doctor wants to put me on Cymbalta because he said it wouldn't cause any sexual side effects. But then I go do some research and I find out this is a bad one for withdrawal, man I am scared to even take it. What do I do now? I tried just getting through life trying to "get over" my depression but its major depressin disorder. It doesn't seem to go away, ever. Thankfully I am also back in talk therapy.

What are you people doing? Please share your stories and cheer me up or help me out or something. Anyone taking Cymbalta?

Thank you so much for reading my post.

-S.T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Scared to take Cymbalta... Please Help

I take Cymbalta and I suppose it helps but if I forget to take it for even 1 day I get "brain zaps". It's scary that a drug can do that. I wish I could stop it but I do feel better than I have in a long time and "why rock the boat"?

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

littlesadone HB User

I was on Cymbalta for about a year but stopped it about a year ago. It did not seem to be helping. I had naseau for a couple of weeks, but I did not do it with the help of my doctor (foolishness on my part). I've never had the brain zaps that some have talked about (either when I was on it, missed it or got off of it), just some naseua. I have just gotten back on it and it seems to be helping. The getting off of it would be work it if it could help me with the here and now. It has helped with anxiety a lot and I have lost quite a bit of weight already, which has really pleased me.

Good luck...only YOU can make the decision for you...

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

I am currently on cymbalta and it has been a life saver for me. I was foggy the first week or so, but those symptoms cleared up. I have no real issues with it. It has been wonderful for me.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

wangela67 HB User

I'm skeptical if Cymbalta will help you since you've tried very similar meds. I know Cymbalta affects Serotonin and Norepinephrine. If SSRI's and Wellbutrin did not help I don't see how this one will make a big difference. Have you tried 5-HTP? You may need more serontonin produced rather than a reuptake inhibitor. If I were you I would try to go to a holistic doctor when you have money and see if you can go another route rather than prescription meds. Prescription meds are not for everyone and they don't always work. If your depression always been caused by your circumstances or is it hereditary? Which med worked the best for you from the ones you have taken? You can always give it a 2 month trial run, however, you never know how withdrawal will be. Do you have the anxious type depression or the I can't get out of bed depression?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

wangela67 HB User

K, Have you tried any other AD besides Cymbalta? If so, how do they compare to Cymbalta? I read somewhere that sometimes an SSRI can lower dopamine and norepinephrine levels.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangela67 View Post
K, Have you tried any other AD besides Cymbalta? If so, how do they compare to Cymbalta? I read somewhere that sometimes an SSRI can lower dopamine and norepinephrine levels.
they may "lower" them in the sense that, your body will not make as much because there is more available, via the uptake inhibition of the drug. I would guess that's what is meant by that.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
(female)

sweeterthan HB User

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to read my post and replied to it.

I have not taken the Cymbalta yet and I doubt I am going to for the mere fact that I am scared of the withdrawal problems. After taking Paxil CR over 3years ago I was never told of how bad the withdrawal could be. The reason I wanted to stop taking Paxil was because it made me really tired all the time and once again had the sexual side effects, plus the crap didn't even help me. Ever have a case of the "zaps" Paxil withdrawal did that to me and I felt ill for weeks, I DO NOT EVER want to go through that again. All the SSRI's have one thing in common - they all kill my sex drive and I have no intimate relationship with my fiance once I'm taking them. He once thought I was cheating on him because he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until I told him it was the medication then he understood completely. Wellbutrin gave me a full on panic attack and I had the worst case of nausea. I took it once and felt like jumping out of my skin I can never take that med again. Celexa was the closest I got finding "the one" that worked for me. It helped my depression (and yes I also have GAD) which it helped but again the sexual side effects ruined it for me. Even the withdrawal from Celexa is not bad at all.

I have truly been thinking about holistic medicine and thats so funny you would ask that but unfortunately I have no insurance (thats why I am going to a mental health clinic and frankly I don't care for the doctor, I always feel rushed when I am in there) the dr wants me to take Klonopin 0.5 mg 3 times a day, I don't need that much but he doesn't listen. This is all very frustrating and I don't think I want to be on anything at this point because as far as the Rx anti depressants I feel I have exhausted all routes. If worse comes to worse I'll just take the Celexa again and my sex life with my fiance will probably suffer

I was diagnosed at the age of 19 with major depression disorder and GAD and Panic Disorder. However I know I was struggling with depression since I was about 12 or 13. It is biological, especially the GAD but also I had a very tramatic and rough childhood that has me scarred for life. So thats where I'm at. 5 years later still haven't found the medication for me.

What are the 5-HTP drugs? I bet I was on those.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangela67 View Post
I read somewhere that sometimes an SSRI can lower dopamine and norepinephrine levels.
SSRI's can cause a compensatory drop in dopamine. That is why docs keep watch for side effects like tics.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
(female)

jansonlygirl HB Userjansonlygirl HB User
Exclamation Re: Scared to take Cymbalta... Please Help

I have copied and pasted this to seek our more answers, I am 3 days into the 20mg dose and I am feeling so bad, I am completely disoriented, and my anxiety level is through the roof! I sleep a lot to try to get through it. I am afraid of losing my mind, I can't concentrate on anything for any length of time. I am seeking out therapy on Monday to get help through this but I am so afraid right now I had to get it out. Below is my original post and I would still appreciate any support and feedback.

I have been on this med for 2 yrs, I am going off of it with the help of my doc, but the withdrawals are awful, brain zaps, mood swings, super dizzy. Please if anyone has been through this I would love to hear about your experience just to get through this!!
I have read up on this a lot, and all of these symptoms seem to fall in line, just scared I guess. I would never recommend this drug to anyone, being on it made me gain 15 lbs, I was totally unmotivated to do everyday things, stopped exercising, super panicky, high anxiety all the time, no quaiity of life on this med.
Just a little additional info, I was on prozac for many many years before the Cymbalta, I felt as though the Prozac was not working anymore so I talked to my doc and she put me on Cym. However, I was in the middle of some family problems when I switched and was having more depression at that point (not bi-polar) so she put me on Cym. It worked for a while and within the last year everything just crept up on me, I was at a loss for why I was so dizzy and paranoid, could hardly get out of the house etc... I started reading up on Cym. and I truly believe it caused this change in me. It actually made me more down from the side effects, like I said quality of life was bad. I was on 60 mgs, a month on 30mgs, and now every other day 30mgs, what a ride.. I am going to ask my doc to put me on 20mgs for 2 wks after this and just taper down again.. NO MORE anti-depressents for me, I need to see what life is like without, it has been forever since I have known the "real" me...a happy me? Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
(female)

sweeterthan HB User

I know what its like to have the "brain zaps". Paxil is infamous for that. I also experience them in my arms and other "jolts" in my body. I also felt sick to my stomach, dizzy, lethargic, bad headaches all from Paxil CR withdrawal. That was the worst AD I have ever taken. That is why I am not going to taket he Cymbalta, I refuse to take any medication that is going to make me even sicker to get off of it. Its not worth it to me. These doctors don't listen, they just want to give you your "happy pill" and send you on your way. I'm disgusted with the AD out there, I really am and some of these doctors don't give a crap they just want their money. I'm going to try to find other ways to combat the depression I have. Its so hard though. Especially when you wake up in the morning and you're depressed and you don't know why and you have to find ways to get yourself out of it all day long. I was watching Larry King Live the other night and there were a group of doctors and a physicist who said you can talk yourself out of depression. For all those in talk therapy remember POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS. You can supposedly rewire your thoughts but it takes time and you have to stick with it. Easier said than done but its better than brain zaps. Good luck to you I hope you can find peace in your life with out the meds. I want to do it too.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
(male)

moejoe39 HB User

I think it depends more on the person. I had a harder time starting cymbalta, than stopping it. I was on it for 9 months and found it easier to quit, than it was to start it. I stll had some zaps and fatigue, but it was bearable

Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
(female)

Capecodgirl74 HB User

I had a hard time with Cymbalta. If you look at some of my old posts, you can see what I went through while on it, it made me literally crazy, impulsice, compulsive and all sorts of bad things. I stopped cold turkey about nine weeks ago. It was a rough road (to put it VERY mildly) up until about two weeks ago. I think Cymbalta should only be given to people who have a serious chemical imbalance and should never ever be given for situational depression. In my case, I have been depressed my whole life, but it is not due to a chemical imbalance, it comes from being ACOA and how I grew up. I am not on meds now, but I have a psych appointment on Sept. 5th and expect to try a new antidepressant. After my Cymbalta experience, I am scared to death to go through trying new meds, but I know I can't live without them. Not at this point, anyway. Maybe when the stress of having small children and being in a tough marriage has passed.

Good luck!!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
(female)

sweeterthan HB User

Thanks for your post Capecodgirl74. I took the samples of Cymbalta they gave me at the mental health clinic back and told them I didn't want them. So here I am a week later back on the Celexa 10 mg and the occassional Klonopin when things really get bad. I really wanted to overcome this on my own but I've had depression since I was a teenager and I'm 24 now. Its causing so much stress on my family and my miserable mood and irritability has almost caused my relationship with my fiance to fall apart. Not to mention I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who doesn't understand why mommy is upset nearly every day.

I know eventually the Celexa will ruin my sex life but what the heck am I suppose to do at this point. I kinda had to make a choice and I know when I'm on the meds it levels everything out and I'm not mean to everyone and crying all the time. But I also know I am not going to be a guinea pig anymore and try all these new crazy meds, I've tried enough of them thank you very much and Celexa is the closest thing I have to "balancing the chemicals" just too bad I know sooner or later my intimate relationship with my fiance is gonna suffer.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
You can supposedly rewire your thoughts but it takes time and you have to stick with it. Easier said than done but its better than brain zaps.
Not supposedly, you CAN do it. This is why its so important to combine talk therapy and drug therapy. If you don't work on changing your thought patterns, they will never change. It does take time and effort, but it certainly can be done. Taking medication alone will not make the necessary changes.

Closed Thread