It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

LittleBlueGirl HB User
Unhappy Pristiq and terrible sexual side effects

Hi all! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I know that Pristiq is a relatively new drug and there isnt much info out there for me to view, but perhaps someone could help me here.

My bf was switched from effexor 150 to pristiq 100 about 6 weeks ago. He was also given 150 of wellbutrin to counter act sexual side effects from effexor and he was advised to continue this while on pristiq.

Well, over the past 6 weeks or so, my bfs sex drive has dwindled lower and lower. He told me that he has really no sensation in his penis and it literally takes him an hour to pleasure himself. When he reaches orgasm, he really feels so little pleasure he doesnt care anymore. When we are intimate, he has trouble staying erect because he has no sensation. He never had this problem while on the effexor/wellbutrin combo. As a matter of fact, we had quite a healthy sex life and now... well.. its pretty nonexistant.

THe wellbutrin doesnt help and from what i read, pristiq was to have had LESS side effects than effexor?

So whats the deal with this? any help?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

sweeterthan HB User
Re: Pristiq and terrible sexual side effects

Those sexual side effects are no joke. I don't know much about the Pristiq, the first time I saw it was on this message board actually. All I can say is that the majority of AD kill your sex drive and you can forget about having an orgasm. For a person who is in an intimate loving relationship this can cause problems....enough to make someone depressed. I'm a woman and when I was taking my AD my sex life was, well, I had none. As far as what I have researched Wellbutrin is the supposed only AD that doesn't have the sexual side effects, too bad for me that one had some other nasty side effects so right now I am not taking anything. Maybe he could just try the Wellbutrin without the other AD, but he should let his doctor know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Wellbutrin alone or another class of ad altogether could do the trick. I did fine on Nortriptyline.....Pristiq is a close chemical cousin of Effexor and is made by the same company...discontinuation symptoms are expected to be the same.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

38NHappy HB User

Hello to all here! Please forgive me for the length of this post but I write in hopes that it might help and encourage even one person.

I am a Pristiq user and I was keeping a daily log from the first day I started taking it however, I started feeling better, got up, got out and started living again and all that went to the wayside. However, I still wanted to share with others what the right medications have done for me and that there is HOPE! Perhaps not in the Pristiq, I do not believe there is one drug or one particular combination of drugs that's right for everyone. It stands to reason as we are all unique.

I started the Pristiq in 12/13/2008 after years and years of not taking anything for Bi-polar disorder. (Long story as to why they only gave me an anti-depressant) I tried MANY drugs and none were very effective and with most, the side effects outweighed the advantages. Effexor worked the best but I simply could not tolerate the headaches, nausea, constipation and or opposite. I also had jaw tremors that were very unnerving and the sexual side effects were not acceptable. I gave up on meds for the final time.

By the time I started them again I weighed 248 pounds (I'm 5'1) slept about 16-20hours a day (or not at all) had no energy and no real life left in me. I was suicidal ate constantly and beyond miserable.

Today I'm 20 pounds lighter and as previously stated, I'm busy, happy and motivated!! It should be noted that I also have hypothyroidism that had been untreated for a long time as well. I highly suggest that ANYONE who is depressed to ask your doctor about this disease. Treating it appropriately is half the battle. It helped with the weightloss but more so, the fact that I am not depressed anymore has aided me in not wanting to eat and eat and eat. I DO have an eating disorder but the meds are helping me take control.

I had some mild nausea the first 2-3 weeks and mild headaches about the first 4 to 6 weeks and some excessive sleepiness but when I tried to sleep I absolutely couldn't. Initially it was much more difficult to acheive orgasm but as time passed (about 12th week on) it became easier and as an interesting side note, I've always had to make an effort to orgasm but on more than enough occasions of missing a dose or two, I've found that I can orgasm with almost no effort what-so-ever. Since adding the others meds (below), even though I don't want sex as often, the orgasms are fantastic and often times multiple. Although I certainly DO NOT recommend skipping ANY med doses, it was an interesting fact to share. The most bizarre and scary of all side-effects by far is the "Brain Zapp" and I do still expeience a very mild form of that sometimes but suffering through that is well worth the benefits of the medication! Most if not all side-effects were completely gone or grossly diminished by the 12th week.

Currently I am still on the 50mg Pristiq 1x daily, plus they added Geodon 40mg, adderallXR 20mg and I am better that I can ever recall being in my life!! The only thing left to say is, (thank goodness, right?!) coming from someone who HATED meds and wouldn't take them,
it will be a cold day in hell that I ever live without them again! Pristiq gave me my life back. Wish they'd made it much sooner. Good luck and best wishes to all.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Wellbutrin counteracts sexual side effects/has a low risk of sexual side effects because it works on dopamine, not serotonin. I'm on 300mgs of it, currently, and initially it upped my sex drive A LOT, but then it actually DID squash my sex drive/sensation.

I'm thinking it's likely that the combo of the wellbutrin and pristiq is acting together to cause the side effects you're experiencing.

Wellbutrin is great for depression and helped A LOT. It did nothing for my anxiety which is why I was put on an SSRI along with the wellbutrin. Perhaps the suggestion that the wellbutrin alone might help? The only downside to wellbutrin is that it has a risk of seizures (which is why 300mgs is pretty much the max doc's will prescribe) and it can cause insomnia, and it can make some people feel like they're coked out on amphetamines. But at 300mgs it shouldn't be so bad. The only time I had an issue with feeling like I was on an amphetamine was when I took a dose in the evening and forgot i had taken one and took one in the morning. So I had 600mgs in my system.

I hope this helps. I know a few people on SSRIs who were unable to have any sort of orgasm and I know the frustration of having decreased sensation. When I was on paxil I could have an orgasm, but it would take FOREVER and wasn't that intense. It sucked, and although the wellbutrin has had some affect on my sex drive, the orgasms are back to normal.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
(female)

Marjuan HB User
Unhappy Re: Pristiq and terrible sexual side effects

Pristiq does have sexual side effects. He's right, you can feel nothing. The same with zoloft.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
(male)

camjunkie HB User

I've had no issues with the Pristiq and Wellbutrin combo. I did have some side effects, however, with Cymbalta.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
(female)

LittleBlueGirl HB User

Well, it has been months and months. Nothing has changed and his doctor doenst really want to switch his med mix because despite the sexual side effects - he will at least get up for a few hours daily which is more than before.

He really has no interest in sex at all and told me he doesnt see if changing in the future... which is really depressing for me.

So - I suppose this is the way it is. Thank you all for trying to help me.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
(male)

EntropyWins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueGirl View Post
Well, it has been months and months. Nothing has changed and his doctor doenst really want to switch his med mix because despite the sexual side effects - he will at least get up for a few hours daily which is more than before.

He really has no interest in sex at all and told me he doesnt see if changing in the future... which is really depressing for me.

Sorry to hear that it ended up like that. I recently went through a rather painful breakup because of the sexual side effects of pristiq (50mg here). My doctor had done the same thing for me when I complained about ED and loss of feeling, she just put me on 150mg of welbutrin and said it should "help". It really has not, I almost feel that my doc is trying to socially mold me by not addressing the problem (she is not to keen on the idea of me being sexually active). Hang in there and try to understand that he most likely wants you, it is just really embarrassing if you are a male and you can not perform for your mate.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueGirl View Post

Many antidepressants do the same thing. Zoloft is another. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for my depression is time, getting out- not being isolated and hate to say this, but activity- exercise. No anti depressant has ever really worked for me. I know exercise is the last thing you think of because your energy is zapped, but if you will just get him to walk around the block with you, it will help. It will be hard, but the weather is better and a little fresh air may be encouragement. I continue to research depression, it is hell. Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
(female)

Marjuan HB User

I went through a period of try this, try this, try that.... no antidepressant ever worked for me. I have tired about 10 in all. I feel like it killed part of my brain, my memory is really bad. My cure was a little time, getting out and being with people, and activity. I know activity is the last thing you can do, but if you just start small, it is a natural antidepressant. As I posted to another, just take a walk around the block. That is it! Small goals. I am currently having terrible withdraws from Pristiq and activity is a challenge. I am still depressed plus I have an ongoing headache, blurred vision, dizziness..it makes it hard to "walk around the block". Today I am forcing myself, before the sun goes down, I'm gonna do it! You try too!!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
(female)

chieftestsinner HB User

it may interest you to know that my shrink explained to me just yesterday that pristiq and effexor are the same drug. he says that when a drug patent is about to expire, the manufacturer simply changes the chemical composition just slightly enough to re-market the drug under a new name. this prevents the company losing money from the drug being made "generic".

oddly enough, i was seeing my shrink to let him know about what i like to call the "chemical genital nullification" i am experiencing from this drug. i may as well no longer have a clitoris.
date me! i'm fun!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
(male)

axel16 HB User

I switched from Paxil to Seroquel 150mg and maintained ssri benefit and regained normal sexual functioning.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
(female)

marymas2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38NHappy View Post
Hello to all here! Please forgive me for the length of this post but I write in hopes that it might help and encourage even one person.

I am a Pristiq user and I was keeping a daily log from the first day I started taking it however, I started feeling better, got up, got out and started living again and all that went to the wayside. However, I still wanted to share with others what the right medications have done for me and that there is HOPE! Perhaps not in the Pristiq, I do not believe there is one drug or one particular combination of drugs that's right for everyone. It stands to reason as we are all unique.

I started the Pristiq in 12/13/2008 after years and years of not taking anything for Bi-polar disorder. (Long story as to why they only gave me an anti-depressant) I tried MANY drugs and none were very effective and with most, the side effects outweighed the advantages. Effexor worked the best but I simply could not tolerate the headaches, nausea, constipation and or opposite. I also had jaw tremors that were very unnerving and the sexual side effects were not acceptable. I gave up on meds for the final time.

By the time I started them again I weighed 248 pounds (I'm 5'1) slept about 16-20hours a day (or not at all) had no energy and no real life left in me. I was suicidal ate constantly and beyond miserable.

Today I'm 20 pounds lighter and as previously stated, I'm busy, happy and motivated!! It should be noted that I also have hypothyroidism that had been untreated for a long time as well. I highly suggest that ANYONE who is depressed to ask your doctor about this disease. Treating it appropriately is half the battle. It helped with the weightloss but more so, the fact that I am not depressed anymore has aided me in not wanting to eat and eat and eat. I DO have an eating disorder but the meds are helping me take control.

I had some mild nausea the first 2-3 weeks and mild headaches about the first 4 to 6 weeks and some excessive sleepiness but when I tried to sleep I absolutely couldn't. Initially it was much more difficult to acheive orgasm but as time passed (about 12th week on) it became easier and as an interesting side note, I've always had to make an effort to orgasm but on more than enough occasions of missing a dose or two, I've found that I can orgasm with almost no effort what-so-ever. Since adding the others meds (below), even though I don't want sex as often, the orgasms are fantastic and often times multiple. Although I certainly DO NOT recommend skipping ANY med doses, it was an interesting fact to share. The most bizarre and scary of all side-effects by far is the "Brain Zapp" and I do still expeience a very mild form of that sometimes but suffering through that is well worth the benefits of the medication! Most if not all side-effects were completely gone or grossly diminished by the 12th week.

Currently I am still on the 50mg Pristiq 1x daily, plus they added Geodon 40mg, adderallXR 20mg and I am better that I can ever recall being in my life!! The only thing left to say is, (thank goodness, right?!) coming from someone who HATED meds and wouldn't take them,
it will be a cold day in hell that I ever live without them again! Pristiq gave me my life back. Wish they'd made it much sooner. Good luck and best wishes to all.
I am glad I read your post. I know to be very careful with skipping any doses of medication but I am going to try to skip 1 or 2 days. I have had a low sex drive and response for a while. I think medicines have a pretty good half life so it shouldn't impact me too badly. I'll let you know if it helps.

Closed Thread