It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
(male)

Slapstick HB User
Perscribed Effexor but given Novo-Venlafaxine??

I went to my Dr. to discuss depresson and anxiety that i have had for a long time... he perscribed me with Efexxor XR, but when i got my perscription it says Novo-Venlafaxine? Why was i given this instead? Someone else i know was perscribed something other than Effexor, and wound up recieving novo-venlafaxine as well....

so hyphothetically, if i need to change meds, i may get a different name on my perscription and STILL recieve Novo venlafaxine again??? how is that going to help???

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, since taking Novo Venlafaxine... i feel it does help with my anxiety a bit... my depression is better some days and much much worse other days... although i don't consider myself suicidal, and i don't FEEL suicidal... i find my self day dreaming about suicide more... i also feel a "numbness" in the top of my head frequently.... and this is when i feel my worst... when i have the "numbness" in the top of my head, it makes me think suicidal and negative thoughts more than normal.... i frequently DAY DREAM (but don't actually FEEL like) taking a gun to my head to end the numbness....

also Novo Venlafaxine makes me very tired and fatigued much of the day... i wake up at 6am and start work at 7am, and don't actually wake up untill noon.... yawning continuouslly untill lunch time...

i'm currently on 150mg of novo-venlafaxine.

any help, advice.. knowledge.... experience, would be great,

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Perscribed Effexor but given Novo-Venlafaxine??

That is the generic form of Effexor, it is basically the same drug so anything that applies to Effexor applies to the generic. Little bit surprised at the dose you started at as it is usually ramped up pretty slowly but I guess that differs from doctor to doctor and possibly person to person. It is going to take four to six weeks for the med to truly kick in and hopefully the start up side effects will subside with time.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
(male)

Slapstick HB User

i've been on it for a couple of months now...

started at 37.5 mgs.... and then 75... then 112... now 150... hadn't started at 150.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

sobedaya HB User

I just started on the novo-venlafaxine, started with 75 mg once daily for a week and then got upped to twice daily.
I had citalopram before this but had to cold turkey off that and wait a week before I could take the novo-v

I am finding that I am soo bone tired all the time. In the morning it's all I can do to either walk the dogs, not even our usual walk as that is too much, or do dishes and laundry or something silly like that and then I am soo tired that all I can do is sleep.
I've now been on this med for 3 and a half weeks, and it feels like I am only getting more and more tired.
Now I read it is one of the possible side effects but the doc seemed surprised that I am that tired. Honestly, it's a chore just to make it through the day!

I tried going into two stores today, had small panic attacks in both places, dunno if that will improve with time.

before this I was taking citalopram and the only reason he's switched me is because I had two setbacks while on it.

so far I feel like crying and my life has changed dramatically since I can now hardly do anything. Please tell me it'll get better, those of you who have been on this longer. I see my doc again in a few weeks and if it hasn't improved by then I'm going to ask to go back to citalopram again. this is not how I want to live!!
btw, never been suicidal, have agoraphobia.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
(female)

catseyesbc HB User

A very good friend of mine is on Novo-Venlafaxine (150mg), and I'm wondering if one of the effects is an irregular sleep pattern or if that could be attributable to something else. Typically he'll sleep for maybe 2 or 3 hours and then be up for 5 or 6. Sometimes more or less either way. He desperately wants to be able to sleep normally. I was just wondering if this is a side effect of N-V, or perhaps something else. And for the record, when he sleeps he is down for the count and goes right under. I've tried phoning him and ringing the doorbell while he's been having one of his 'naps', and he doesn't hear a thing. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
(male)

Slapstick HB User

While i am tired frequently, i'm never THAT tired as much as your friend seems to be.... I would almost think it is something else? But everything effects everyone differently... can't say for certain :\

Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
(female)

smi HB User
Talking Got Novo-Venlafaxine as well

Hi,

I have recently switched to NV, first on 70mg, now I am on 150. Taking trazodone 50mg and pro lorazepam (50) as well. Before I had other meds that didn't work at all.
I got it to get some relief for anxiety/trauma, and because I stopped sleeping (strong insominia) completely. Hope that will eventually work.

I haven't got any results jet from Novo Venlafaxine, and it seems it takes to many weeks to start working. Is there anybody there who may have got good results with it and had already stop taking it after a while?

I have anxiety, and recently tried something called EFT (you may find some information about the tecnique and medicine doctors or psycologist that use it online) with good results. I have heard that it is also good for fobias. It could complement your treatment

Last edited by smi; 11-18-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Closed Thread