It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

Superspud HB User
Effexor withdrawal

Hi there, everyone.

I'm currently on 350mgs of Effexor (NOT XR) and have been on it for about a year now, more or less. It has caused me nothing but trouble though. It doesn't keep me from getting depressed, and occasionally I get bouts of brain zaps when I haven't changed the dosage at all. It has also caused an unnecessary amount of weight gain that I really want to shed.

Thing is, when I was on a lower dose, I went through unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. I was wondering: is there any way to get off the meds and bypass the withdrawal symptoms? If I lower it by 37.5mgs every few days, will that help? And what kind of withdrawal symptoms should I be expecting?

I haven't discussed this with my doctor- I'm doing it freelance. Last time I mentioned coming off them he told me not to because they're working. But they're not! So I don't know what he was on about.

Last edited by Superspud; 08-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
(male)

adamwalkley HB User
Re: Effexor withdrawal

Withdrawal from any meds is unpleasant. However if you slowly taper the dosage over a few months (depending on the amount that you take) it should ease them. I wouldn’t recommend doing it ‘freelance’. Tell your doctor that they are not working and you want to stop taking them or change to a different medication. Your doctor will be able to prescribe some meds to ease withdrawal. Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor for certain meds after all it’s their job to help. If your Doctor won’t help, seek out another one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread