It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

newbie43 HB User
Smile Diagnosed with Mild Depression - should I take Lexapro?

Hello All,

I was just diagnosed with mild depression and my doc has prescribed Lexapro/10mg. I have had depression/anxiety on and off for a few years. About 3 years ago I was on Paroxetene (generic for Paxil), and it did help me. It did work fine, but in February of this year I weened off of it. Now, in August, with a few "issues" constantly on my mind, I decided to back on an AD. I am nervous to start taking it. I would love to hear from people currently on Lexapro.

Thanks for listening.
Newbie43

Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

lunalu HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Mild Depression - should I take Lexapro?

I've been on Lexapro 10mg for about a month now. I am thrilled and very happy with my new outlook on life. It does not solve situational problems, but gives me a tool to cope and move forward in my life. Of course, that's just my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
(male)

Bonds81 HB User

I would think about going back on Paxil if it worked fine. Finding one that works without bothersome side effects is a challenge imo.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

PlazaHouse05 HB User

I've been on Lexapro for almost two weeks and I've noticed a big difference already.
I actually smiled and joked while getting ready for work this morning. I don't know- I feel like a weight has been lifted.
I own a business and lost a "renter" Wednesday. One that pays me 600.00 a month.
Normally that would have sent me into a major tail spin. Crying and unable to cope.
Now I feel like it is what it is..I'll find someone else or figure out a way to deal with it. It's not the end of the world. I don't need to medicate myself to sleep so I don't obsess over it and my husband isn't suffering for it.

I'll be honest- the first week I felt horrible. I ached all over and felt a little more anxious than usual but that passed..and I'm starting to feel like the old me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
(male)

dmize23235 HB User

lexapro is great...i was on paxil at first but the weight gain and sexual side effects made my depression worse...lexapro doesn't do either to me...as a matter of fact i am losing weight(i am trying to, it's not a medical thing) try the lexapro...

Old 08-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
(female)

treelover HB User

Hello Newbie43:

My psychiatrist always said each person is a case study of one. Every person will react differently to a drug. What is important is that you and your doctor are willing to keep trying until you find something that does work for you. If you are seeing a general doctor I would strongly suggest seeing a psychiatrist -- they are trained specifically for mental disorders and the medications that can help or hinder.

It has taken me two years and a great psychiatrist to finally find the "right mix" of medication.

Good Luck.

Treelover.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

newbie43 HB User

Great. I love hearing good news about an AD instead of reading bad things, which makes a person very nervous. Today is my 3rd day and other than minor gastril problems I am doing ok.

Thank you~

Closed Thread