It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User
How do you bounce out of a depression rut? and low life situation.

Hello I am 26 yr old male. I have had depression for most of my life. I have my ups and downs, and I seem to be on a gradual increase for the bettter except for now I am going through a huge life change. I graduated college 2 yrs ago with a degree in criminal justice, minor in pyschology. I have not been able to get a good job since getting out. I have been drinking a lot, going to bars, partying with friends from college and in reality just sinking lower. I have been loseing my hair, gaining some wieght, have very little money, have not had a steady girlfriend for a long time.....my depression and low self-image have kept me from that(despite many of them being interested) I lost my job that kept me paying my bills about 4 months ago. My work performance had been sinking, I made a mistake on some paperwork and a gun came missing ina shipment(for a moveing company) and I got canned. I got a low paying job that helped me get through the rest of my housing lease and I am now currently helping my dad out with his buisness. he has a remote lodge in Alaska and I am watching it for him while he is gone. So now I am completely alone, living under the whims of my father until I get my life together. I am super depressed because between prematurely balding, putting on some wieght from the drinking I don't feel attractive anymore. I never realized how much your own attractiveness level can make you feel how succesful you are going to be. Also not haveing any money, being 38,000 in debpt from college. I am really considering joining the military right now. I could go in as an officer and most likely get into a pilot program because I do have a private pilot's license. For the next couple of months while I am living alone I am going to quit drinking completely, study for military tests(ASVAB) and (AFAST), as well as apply for jobs, exercise a bunch and eat healthy. Can anyone else give me some tips, do you guys think the military is a good idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
(male)

jake1777 HB User
Re: How do you bounce out of a depression rut? and low life situation.

Don't know much about the military, but does your dad know about your real situation ?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I think the military is a great idea. I don't know if you will have to go through basic training but if you do it will get you back in shape. I can relate to the poor self image stuff as I gained 100lbs in 4 years and I don't feel very good about that. You sound like you have some good ideas on how to help your situation. Stay positive!!! If things can't get any worse they can only get better. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

Hi Mcgunther...me again. we have talked in another thread. I think you have some insecurites (dont we all!?) but you seem to be a thoughtful guy. I dont know much about the miliatiry either but you are obvuisly trying to think of a way out of your current situation and into a better one - in my book that means you are halfway there.
We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up. One door closes, another one opens.

Good luck

Closed Thread