It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

sarah408 HB User
who do you tell?

HI all,

Just a lil question- who have you told about your mood disorder? How comfortable are you with telling people/friends/family?

Any negative reactions or a lack of support/understanding?

Outside of my doctor/therapist I have only told 2 very close friends- both "safe" people as both have had periods of depression and one is on antidepressants also. They have been a great support to me. Oh and my brother as he told me he was taking Celexa.

Other than that I keep it under wraps. I worry a bit about what people will think.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see how you guys feel.

Cheers, Sarah

Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

Ontarioproud HB User
Re: who do you tell?

Hi Sarah. My situation is a little different. I wasn't officially diagnosed until after my son was born 3 years ago, so my diagnosis was "post partum depression". Now everyone finally believes me that I was suffering from depression for probably 20 years. Since my diagosis is PPD, it was easier to tell more people (mainly b/c I wanted to warn pregnant friends about what to look out for, and hopefully convince them there's no stigma to it).

Basically, I've told my husband, my parents, my doctors, and a few close friends. I haven't told anyone from work.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 08-30-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: this board is for anonymous use only, where a person lives is not a viable question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
(male)

uneazydeazy HB User

I've always hated telling people, i even dread having to talk to a doctor. but if you have smart understanding friends it may help to let some know

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

PlazaHouse05 HB User

for me, I don't tell everyone I know. It's not their business. However, I have a clientelle of about 70 people, all women so I feel free to share with them. Mostly because many of them noticed that I was "off" and I feel so much better. It's like feeling like crap but not knowing why you're sick, then all of a sudden you feel great. You almost want to share with the world...and I'm sure that's not a good idea
I share especially if I think it might trigger someone else to get help.

Closed Thread