It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

cannoli31 HB User
Generic Med Smell

Has anyone using generic Wellbutrin noticed that the pill container smells like sulfur (rotten eggs)? I am using the pills with WPI 839 printed on one side and they stink. I decided to go back to brand Wellbutrin since they don't have that odor. The company that makes the generic said its normal and just air out the jar. I did that and the smell was back within 24 hours of putting the lid back on.
Very odd.
Also, does anyone notice a difference in effectiveness between the generic and brand in treating the depression?

thanks,
Dave

Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Generic Med Smell

Yes, I noticed a rotten egg smell to the generic wellbutrin too. I think it was the pills that smelled, not the container. I stopped taking it 2 years ago, it didn't help me.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 08-31-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

momtobaby1 HB User
Re: Generic Med Smell

I'm a pharmacy technician and have seen this time after time. Brand names always come from the same manufacturer but generics could come from one of hundreds, it depends on which one your pharmacy is using as a supplier. Because of the different manufacturers some generics will look different and smell different. Trust me I've come across some really stinky pills before. Also some that I'm not sure why they chose the odd fluroescent type colors they did. As far as generics versus brand names, well I'm not going to debate that with anyone because this is not the place for that but I will say that generics are chemically the same as brand names. The only difference in them is with brand names you are paying higher prices because you are paying for the name. Some people believe generics don't work as well but honestly it's psychological because they truly are the same medication.

Hope this helps with understanding the stinkiness a little more. LOL it's not likely your bottle but the pills instead.

Closed Thread