It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Anyone else - work the root of depression?

Hi there,

I am fortunate to have a decent job. Been at the same company 17 yrs and same line of work for 30 yrs. My problem - I can't retire with full SS benefits until I'm 70. I'm 48 now and I am tired. Work has gotten extremely complicated.My dept has been working at a frantic pace for over a yr with no raises in many years. The company keeps adding more branches, but not the support staff. I cannot leave there because my husband and I need the health ins - he has heart disease and I don't want any issues with "pre-existing conditions" should something arise with his heart (it has every 6 yrs for 18 yrs).

I feel like work sucks the life out of me. By the time I get home, I have nothing left. I am so tired I don't have any energy and it just keeps getting worse. I feel like I have no way out of this and cannot bear the thought of keeping this up for another 22 yrs. I start thinking about it and it gets overwhelming - like a big ache in my heart. I live for the weekends, but usually end up doing housework because I let it all go to pot during the week.
Okay, thank you for letting me complain.

JB

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

waratah HB User
Re: Anyone else - work the root of depression?

Hi grannyO,

Work is getting you down? I understand the exhaustion at days end too.

I wonder if it is possible to work part-time and not lose any health insurnace benefits?

Does your workplace have a family friendly policy on balancing work and family committments?

Is there a counsellor at work in such a large organisation?

Does the HR department offer workplace wellness programs?

Waratah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Thanks, Wartah,

My company is about 125 people big. 17 production branches. I work in the corporate office and we are it for dealing with all the new incoming people.
Our HR dept is one person who can't keep up with the work required for new employees. Our whole office is drowning in work but they won't bring on help because all these new branches has not produced to their expectations, while the whole corporate office is in overdrive. I think you may able to work 30 hrs a week and get health ins. It's something to think about for the future. I'd have to stock pile some money, which just never seems to happen - there is always something that needs to be paid.

You did give me something to think about though - if they ever hire on more staff. Right now they'd never consider it since my dept is already in overload and thats with us working overtime.

Thanks,

JB

Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Granny, I think that Waratah's suggestion about working less hours and still keeping your health insurance sounds good. I hope it is doable for you. Once you work less and make less money, you will adjust to having less and spending less. You sound exhausted and need more rest and time for yourself.
Don't work yourself into the grave.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Thanks Negot,

I actually had to come home from work a few hours early today. Not a lick of energy and body aches. I don't know if I'm coming down with something or it's "workitis".

Yeah, I really do feel like this job is going to send me to the grave. I know that I cannot keep this up until I'm 70. The company I work for does not have any retirement. We have a 401K, but it's all our own money. They don't put a dime in, the tight wads!
Thanks for your reply,

JB

Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
(male)

norton54 HB User

Granny0, I know exactly where you are coming from. 99% of my depression is work related also and I know there is NO easy answer. I have to get up so early that I have absolutely no life during the week because I go to bed like a kindergartner and basically just live for the weekend which is a shortened Friday night and Saturday. I don't enjoy my Sundays knowing I have to go to bed so early. Hang in there and I hope it gets better for you.

Closed Thread