It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

pjgurl918 HB User
celexa...still depressed how long

hey guys new to the board... I am suffering from extreme anxiety, depression and some depersonalization.I started celexa a month ago. My anxiety is a bit better but I have awful depression and dp. will the meds start kicking in soon?? i cant even leave my house!!! help!!! i am also obsessed with my health. every little sensation i get i freak out and start thinking i have this or that..... ugh hope this ends

Last edited by pjgurl918; 09-06-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add more

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
(male)

davedavedave HB User
Re: celexa...still depressed how long

It is meant to start working in 2-4 weeks. However, in my case, it was a very gradual progress that took months but proved to be extremely effective. I felt the effect was only slight initially and after a month in consultation with my psychiatrist, I gradually increased the dose from 20 to 40mg's and eventually to the maximimum of 60mg's.. As a result after the third month I felt the depression lift and life return. The improvements continued for a year. After a year I year I gradually reduced the dose to 40mg's, which I have been on ever since. I have been depression free on this dose for 9 years.

For me it was worth sticking with a medication that I was tolerating well, even though the impovements didn't come quickly. I listened to my psychiatrists advice and increased the dose and was patient. I am so glad I didn't reject this med.

Really hope this med works for you too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Most doctors believe that antidepressants take four to six weeks to really show if they are going to be effective as it reaches proper levels in the blood stream. Unfortunately the difference may be slight which tends to lead to an increase or the med has no effect or negative effect which leads to trying a new drug and repeating the process. Not a lot of fun but when you find the right med the difference is such that the whole trial and error process was worth while. Take care.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

pjgurl918 HB User

thank you for your response. I think its helping a bit for my anxiety but my depression and dp is bad... I have been diagnosed with candida as well which is yeast overgrowth which affects us mentally so I hope treating this as well will help my depression... I am going to ask to go up to 40 mgs.... hopefully it will start kicking in!!! can you tell me what side affects you had? I have muscle twitching, bruise easily. I am not sure if that is from the yeast tho. thank you for your help... xo

Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
(male)

davedavedave HB User

The main symptoms I experienced were in the first couple of weeks after I began celexa. I was very sleepy all day. I had a little leg twitching but this soon went away. I had the typical sexual side effects of this class of med that went away after a few weeks too.

It is a bit scary taking a medication that is altering you brain chemistry but my fears proved unfounded. When the medication started to work for me, it was wonderful. My physical and awful mental lethargy left and I could gradually enjoy life again. I was suprised just how wonderful emerging from depression could be.

The candida link to depression interested me too. I tried appropriate diets and 'alternative' treatments. However, looking back,it was Celexa that made the difference in my recovery. Good to attack the depression on multiple fronts though.

I take 20mg's in the morning and 20mg's in the evening. Good luck on the 40mg's if your psychiatrist recommends you can increase your dose at this stage.

Take good care of yourself

Closed Thread