It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Has anyone here had experience with Abilify?

My Dr. thinks I should supplement my Cymbalta (60mg daily) with a very low dose of Abilify. He says I am about 80% out of the depression and that the Abilify may kick it up to where I should be. He gave me a starter pack a few weeks ago, but I still havent taken any. I am always VERY hesitant to take a new medication. I already take the Cymbalta and also Klonopin (0.5mg twice a day). To add another seems daunting. Plus I always fear allergy and side effects. To me, it is certainly not worth taking the chance of my throat closing up after my first dose just to feel a little better. Ya know??

Anyway I would love to hear some suggestions, experiences, advice, etc....

Thanks!!!

Heather, 34, WI

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
(female)

omphalos HB User
Re: Has anyone here had experience with Abilify?

I was on 10mg of Abilify. My psychiatrist said it would help with my energy level because it is low. However, it had the opposite effect on me. I would fall asleep with my eyes wide open and not realize it until something or someone woke me up. It would happen while I was driving too. She took me off of it. I do not fall asleep like that anymore. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
(male)

Scott553 HB User

Heather,

Hi. My name is Scott. I am a fifty-five year old male. I have been taking Abilfy, 5mg. daily, for about a month now. It supplements 10mg. of Lexapro and 350mg, of Wellbutrin XL. I would guess that the two anti-depressants without Abilfy took care of 75% of my depression. I had a great deal of trouble getting motivated to do most things. Since taking the Abilify, I have become a new person! Or, perhaps, the person I used to be. The only side effect I've noticed is an increase in frequency of needing to urinate. I have a twenty-six year old daughter, same basic symptoms/results as me who has been on Abilfy for two or so weeks now. She also has been given a new lease on life.

Obviously, each person responds in a distinct, unique manner to medications but I know this has made an incredible difference in my life.

I certainly hope this helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to write.

God Bless,

Scott

Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Thank you so much to all of you for responding.

I wish I wasnt so afraid to try it.

Scott, basically, that is what I am suppose to try it for too. The depression and anxiety is ok with the 2 meds I am on. But I have NO energy or motivation what so ever. I have an almost 4 year old daughter and I am not enjoying our time as I feel I should be. I never feel like doing anything. I would always rather stay home. I also have a mild form of tachycardia for which I take a beta blocker. So I do have a fear of meds making my heart race.

I dunno. I mean, heck, I am only 34. I feel 80. I just cannot decide if this new addition is really the right thing for me or not.

Thank you so much again!!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
(male)

Scott553 HB User

Heather,

Ditto, ditto, ditto to all the symptoms you listed. I have an issue with chronic pain, which turned into depression as well. I also was afraid to try the Abilfy because I read the negative side effects. I finally decided to try it simply because I was so tired of living depressed. I have four beautiful grand children I want to enjoy and keep up with. The Abilfy (I assume) is helping me do this! I pray that you have an awesome, helpful experience with it!

Scott

Closed Thread