It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

chloe04 HB User
Depression, Anxiety, Thyroid, Cymbalta??

I need some help. I've been experiencing some depression(I'm still able to get out of bed and do most things) on and off since June right around the time of my Grandmother's funeral. A couple weeks ago I was told I had an enlarged thyroid, but the results came back normal-TSH 0.72(I also feel I'm experiencing quite a few hyperthyroid symptoms) Then the anxiety attacks started. I've only had a couple bad ones. I went into my doctor yesterday and he did some blood work and he prescribed cymbalta 30mg. I did some reading on cymbalta and read many horror stories (I'm very sensitive to medications, even caffeine) So I've decided to not take the medication. I also have my first appointment with a therapist later this week. I guess my question is will I be able to get over this depression and anxiety with just therapy and no medication??

Old 09-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Depression, Anxiety, Thyroid, Cymbalta??

This question is almost impossible to answer for a number of reasons (1) Not knowing the degree of the depression (2) The complete history (3) The presence of depression or other mental illnesses in the past (4) How strong your coping mechanisms are and the list goes on. I look at medication and a part of the arsenal to defeat the depression monster and in my situation it makes therapy at least a possibility. Sorry I could not help. Take care
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

imtupp HB User
Re: Depression, Anxiety, Thyroid, Cymbalta??

Your TSH is sitting in the low end of normal, most likely bordering on hyperthyriod. I would go back to your doctor and request more blood tests (FREE T4 & T3), as you may have an autoimmune disorder called Graves' disease, causing symptoms such as depression or anxiety.

I was diagnosed with Graves' in 2001, and treated with radioactive iodine in January '02. It took a very long time for me to feel the way I used to(18 to 24 months), and a couple times during this period I tried to wean off my AD's to no avail. I did this on my own only to learn I shouldn't stop them as long as my thyriod was so out of wack.

Getting the proper diagnosis is key. If you say you are expiriencing hyper symptoms, "The Thyriod Solution" by Ridha Arem, M.D. may be a good read. Learning as much as you can about your illness is the best way to work hand in hand with your doctor. Not only that, you Know how you feel, and just because your blood results say normal doesn't mean YOU are at YOUR OPTIMAL levels for YOU.

Though I have been treated for thyriod disease, I still battle depression. But that is me and we are all induvidual. If your doctor won't do additional testing on you, I'd seek a second opinion, or ask to be referred to an endocronalogist.

Closed Thread