It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

dalaimama HB User
Paxil and feeling numb

Hello everyone Back in May I was diagnosed with Depression, although this wasn't the first time. Most of my life since I was 16 I've been diagnosed as depressed but until recently it was never THIS bad. I've been on many medications, usually weaned off after 6 months-1 year and occassionally have self weaned because I was living in the US and lost my insurance. Since this diagnosis I've been on Paxil which has done wonders for me, but also been creating other problems.

For one, I've stopped crying for no reason. Which is great! I used to cry at the drop of a hat over everything (which isn't good when you have kids wondering if their mommy is ok). The problem is that - I've stopped crying altogether. I have no sadness, even when I should. I feel it's extremely hard to feel bad for other people in a way that shows I care. Empathy is something I have to work REALLY hard to feel. It's as if the Paxil has made me devoid of any emotion. I can laugh though, which is nice.

The other problem was that I was an emotional basket case when it came to relationships with the opposit sex. Now, I have the opposit problem. I want nothing to do with them. I have zero sex drive (which again is ok since I'm single LOL) but I keep getting flirted with and just walking away. It's like now I don't even care. I couldn't possible be less interested in someone. Again this isn't bad, just perplexing and I wonder if it will eventually go away.

I have to admit, I much prefer this numb feeling over the emo-basket-case I was before. I've become a much much much better mother and I can concentrate on school more. But I still want to be emotionally attached to my friends and I find that the paxil is really interfering with that. I'm on 20mg/day. I tried going back to 10mg but I was back to being an emo-basket-case. Is this just par for the course?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Paxil and feeling numb

These are common side effects of antidepressants. Sometimes they go away, sometimes not. In my case, they didn't. I was on Prozac for eight years and experienced the same problems as you. I chose to go off of it for these reasons because it wasn't getting any better. You may have a different experience, though.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

sadsunflower HB User
Re: Paxil and feeling numb

I've been on Paxil 20mg. for 3 yrs. I do feel emotions, but don't cry. I laugh alot. I went off it this year, tried replacing it with St. John's Wort, but it wasn't potent enough so I went back to Paxil. I'm a nurse and used to work in a convelescent home. One of the elderly female patients said that I didn't care whether someone lived or died, my emotions didn't appear to change. I was always peppy and cheerful. I still get really depressed sometimes though, very sad, hense my name 'Sadsunflower'.

Closed Thread