It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

buzzybees HB User
depression

hello im 22 years old and i feel really depressed ive had a tension headache for 3 days and got the shakes and im just crying all the time ive had depression for 3 years but it reallt gets me down sometimes. but other times i feel okay its weriod?? please someone help me i suffer from anxiety aswell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Re: depression

Hi miss. You're around the same age as me (I'm 23). I feel stupid for now getting help sooner than I did. I've been depressed for about 10 years now, and only began seeking professional help last year. My life took a complete 180 when I got on meds.

Went from debt, low GPA, waste of time to 50K/year job I love, "enjoying" classes and picking up hobbies left and right. I also love to read; Something I was unable to do very well when depressed.

Anyway, I don't really don't know what to tell you. If you have any experience(s) you want to share, we're all here to support you. That might help. I also suggest seeking a doctor. Psychiatrist if you want meds, and Psychologist or counselor if you just want to talk or get some form of drug-free therapy.

It's really important that you seek active help. I spent TEN years trying to get over it on my own... it began as anxiety as a child, and then quickly escalated into severe depression. I wasted my life, and the only thing that got me to make an appointment and get meds was seeing all my friends graduate college and me sitting around with 2.5 credits and a 20K debt of classes I FAILED. Funny thing is, I failed them because I just didn't go, and I didn't bother dropping them or anything. Depression makes you pretty retarded.

It also causes stress. Stress causes PERMANENT memory and mood damage. It's no joke, really, and I can see why people don't want to see a doctor about it, but if it's really affecting your life, then I highly suggest you just suck up the guilt/egoism/fear and see a doc. Worst case scenario, you wasted some time and money.

As for anxiety.. ah, anxiety's the worst. I actually don't know if I had depression all my life, but I definitely had anxiety. In my case it might be genetic, but either way, I've always been too occupied with my thoughts, worries and imagined scenarios to be able to get anything done. I lived most of my life in my head.

Think about your day to day life. Do you feel that most of it only occurs in your head? Involves you just thinking about things? worst-case scenarios? playing conversations and images over and over in your head, seeing what you could of or should of done, regretting the past, etc?

Anyway. Depression blows, but it's important to note that it's a serious problem. Some people will think depression is something people get because they don't believe in Gods. Others will think that you're just weak. Others will think you're an idiot, or your view of the world is wrong (i.e., you're a dreamer), and so on and so forth. I personally felt like people who were depressed and had to take meds were too weak to fix it on their own. This was silly, and stupid.

It's POSSIBLE to fix it on your own.. but ask yourself this.. are you REALLY gonna put in the effort to? People who are depressed can't hold down routines. I certainly couldn't exercise on a regular basis. I couldn't socialize. I couldn't do anything, so it wouldn't make sense for me to "fix it on my own." I needed a kick. A push. Something to get me started. In my case it was medication. Other people might have friends that can push them, and others might turn to God(s).

The "problem" is that nobody is going to force you to do anything. So you have to decide whether your depression is bad enough for you to go seek help or to just sit around waiting for something to happen. Most people go the latter route..

take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: depression

What medical/mental health treatments have you tired?

Closed Thread