It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Zoloft makes me too drowsy to do anything *YAWN*

I posted a similar thread in the anxiety forum. I have anxiety more than depression, but I feel people here are probably more experienced with SSRIs.

Is it just me or does Zoloft cause major somnolence/drowsiness?

Zoloft doesn't make me "sleepy" but gives me a feeling like Melatonin. It makes me feel "good" but tired. The feeling you get when you've accomplished a lot during the day and are finally in bed peacefully waiting to sleep.

It's a great feeling, and my ideal world is one in which I can sleep all day, but this state has ruined my GPA and life. I can't get anything done, I don't feel like talking, I sleep anytime I have a chance, etc.

I'm thinking about getting on Effexor. Has anyone who tried Zoloft with similar results as me try Effexor? What were your results?

I've been taking Zoloft for about 6-12 months. I just stopped cold turkey last week and had zero withdrawal effects except for the classic Zoloft nightmares and a little more teeth grinding. I took 50mg of Zoloft about 30 minutes ago and I finally realize how drowsy it really makes me. I didn't notice this so much before probably because I got on it gradually and was also on wellbutrin (still am).

I keep yawning.. it feels amazing, but *yawn* I can't study math or anything that requires being fully alert. *yawn*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User
Re: Zoloft makes me too drowsy to do anything *YAWN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs2 View Post

It's a great feeling, and my ideal world is one in which I can sleep all day, but this state has ruined my GPA and life. I can't get anything done, I don't feel like talking, I sleep anytime I have a chance, etc.

I'm thinking about getting on Effexor. Has anyone who tried Zoloft with similar results as me try Effexor? What were your results?
I was tired all the time on Effexor. You are likely looking at some fatigue on most of them with the possible exception of Wellbutrin. Make a committment to cognitive behavioral therapy. CBT turned me in the right direction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

Les3elles HB User

Hi there! My husband was on Zoloft for a brief period of time and it did nothing good for him! He was a walking zombie with no libidi might I add. He was then switched to Wellbutrin and he says it made all the difference in the world. He loves Wellbutrin.
I, personally have been STUCK on Effexor for almost 7 years now and it is IMO the worst one out there! The withdrawl effects (even interim pills) are the worst!! The weaning off process is worse than the initial symptoms before starting the meds!! Id say make a switch to Wellbutrin.. ( I am on Well also).. hopefully that will be the only one I will be taking soon enough, as soon as I can tolerate the withdrawls of Effexor!
Best of luck!
Angèle

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

thanks

I already take Wellbutrin. I am augmenting it with Ritalin now for fatigue. It works great, but Ritalin isn't something I'd like to be on for too long. I'm thinking about wellbutrin + buspar + ritalin.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

Les3elles HB User

Ritalin for energy? Ive never heard of that..Im a social worker and almost all of my younger clients are taking Ritalin..I just wasnt aware it could be prescribed for energy purposes.. That is interesting!!

Closed Thread