It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

helphelp HB User
Abnormal ejaculation

Hi,

I have been on Effexor for a month or so now and it has helped me a bit with my anxiety that I want to continue it for longer but I have having a sexual side effect that's referred to as 'abnormal ejaculation'.

I now don't get any pleasure at all from having sex with my GF and it feels like a chore, I have no problems in terms of having an erection or being horny, but I get no pleasure from the actual sex, whether it is oral or full penetration, and I NEVER ejaculate when with my partner and as I said it feels like a chore but I do it for her.

I can ejaculate with solo masturbation but even then it takes AGES and I get NO pleasure at all from it but I masturbate still as I do get horny.

While my girlfriend likes the idea of me being able to go for hours with her I would like to get pleasure back as I get none whatsoever.

Anyone had this? Any tips or advice pls?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
(female)

waratah HB User
Re: Abnormal ejaculation

Hi helphelp

Yes, I'm afraid this is one very common side effect with nearly all AD's, but I've heard that Effexor is one of the better ones in terms of reduced side-effects.

I currently take 300mg Effexor daily, and find that my arousal state is much reduced, but with mental fantasy and imagery and focusing (not stressing), the end result can occassionaly be quite pleasing. This doesn't always work, but when it does work well, it's worth wating for and makes up for those times when responses were well below par.

waratah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Abnormal ejaculation

I had the same problem with SSRIs (Proxac, Effexor, etc.). I couldn't achieve orgasm at all. Plus they didn't really lift my depression, and they make me very lethargic. It almost destroyed my marriage.

I switched from SSRIs to Wellbutrin for my depression, and my sexual response improved dramatically. I think it's even better now (at age 50) than when I was in my 20's. However, Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression (and sometimes ADD) and it sometimes has an effect of increasing anxiety. I also take a tablet of Ativan at night to control the anxiety and help me sleep.

Wellbutrin might not be for you, but there might be other newer drugs that don't have the sexual side effects. Ask your doctor, or ask your doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists mainly focus on medications, and they would be the most knowledgable about new drugs and combinations.

Last edited by lucylucy; 09-23-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Closed Thread