It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

texas1974 HB User
Question care with no insurance

hello to everyone i'm new at this but very desperate, how can i get treatment with no insurance or little money. I go to my local state funded MHMR but they just want to keep me medicated. Any suggestions?

Last edited by texas1974; 09-21-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Re: care with no insurance

In regard to cognitive behavioral therapy, you may try reading some books on it until you find a way to get treatment without insurance.

I'm really not sure though, but I'd like to hera an answer to this because many of my friends are in the same situation. depression/anxiety, but no insurance and no money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

texas1974 HB User

Thanks for responding joebloggs2. It helps to know that I'm not the only one in this situation. from texas1974

Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

I've been doing some research on this.

What about Medicaid?

Also, look at The Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPARX) . They offer free/inexpensive generic medication. They might have info or can help you find inexpensive/free drug-free treatment. Worth a try.

Good luck

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 09-22-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
(female)

texas1974 HB User

to joebloggs2 thanks for the suggestions i'll try both

Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

There is a counseling center in my area that offers therapy on a sliding scale fee basis. Their rates are very low if you have a low income. Call the local non-profit (not government) agencies in your area to get a list of agencies. The United Way should be a good source of referrals.

The other thing you can do on your own - and cheaply - is to exercise. I've been seeing more and more research evidence that aerobic exercise can reduce depression as much as anti-depressants! It's the last thing I want to do when I'm depressed, but I have to keep reminding myself how much better I feel when I do it consistently. I noticed that when I'm in a depression, I feel very cold (and I don't even want to take a shower). One theory is that exercise helps depression because it raises body temperature. It also helps concentration and energy.

You might also benefit from light therapy. If you have a tendency to stay inside all day, you could benefit from a walk outside in the early afternoon. I used to have a light box that I used in the winter (I live in the North, in an area that isn't very sunny). It seemed to help cheer me quite a bit. There is an agency in my area that has some light boxes that people can use. You can't take them with you, but you can visit their office and use one for a half hour or so. I think it's free for anyone who works for a company that uses their Employee Assistance plan (or their family members).

Check with your employer (or call the HR department of any family member's employer) and ask if they have an employee assistance plan for employees. They offer limited counseling, referrals and many different services for employees and their family members. Some will even cover their employee's roommates or significant others.

Last edited by lucylucy; 09-23-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Closed Thread