It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
(male)

bono1968 HB User
Abilify, Pristiq, Provigil & Trazodone are the meds I'm on.

With out going into a long story as to why I recently had my meds completely changed. In the morning I take 5 mg Abilify, 50 mg Pristiq & 100 mg Provigil. In the afternoon I take another 100 mg Provigil and before bed I take 100 mg of Trazodone as a sleep aide. The Abilify and Trazodone are new to me. This mix seems to be working well for me and I have felt the best I have in years. My only concern is weight gain. Has anybody experienced any weight gain with any of these meds? Also do you find it better to take the Abilify in the PM or the AM? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

sjy323 HB User
Re: Abilify, Pristiq, Provigil & Trazodone are the meds I'm on.

Hi Bono1968.
Provigil definately helped me lose weight and Pristiq also reduces appetite. I've taken Provigil on occasion for years (for energy and help with my overeating issue) and I've only been on Pristiq for four days. I can't comment on the other two: I have not tried Abilify and Trazodone made me too sleepy during the day so I discontinued it immediately. Good luck! -SJY323

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Could you both tell me about Provigil? I've been thinking about mentioning it to my dr. as an add-on to lexapro.

Does your insurance company pay for it? I think I read it's expensive.

Do you have any side effects from it?

I would really appreciate any information you can give me.

Thank you very much.

Salty

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
(male)

bono1968 HB User

I started taking Provigil to off set being tired from the meds I’m on. It doesn’t make you feel “speedy” it just makes you feel like you got a good night of sleep. I take 100 mg in the morning and then 100 mg in the afternoon but don’t take it too late in the day or you might have a hard time falling asleep. My insurance does cover it but at the highest copay. If you are finding yourself needing a nap in the middle of the day I would highly recommend Provigil. The only side effect I have noticed is dry mouth.

Last edited by bono1968; 11-03-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bono, thank you for that. If you have a chance, could you fill me in on Pristiq. I've been looking for a new med for a long time.

Thank you so much.

Salty

Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
(female)

sjy323 HB User

Salty,

Provigil has been my fav Rx for years and I only take it on occasion. It's great for energy and to boot, it will reduce your appetitie. I break 200mg pill in half and take it in the morning. It's very expensive, even with insurance but your pdoc should have samples on hand (he/she may also have a coupon from Provigil, good for seven 200mg which is accepted every month so you can ask for several coupons). I've also ordered it online from Canadian pharmacy but it's still pretty pricey (over $100 for 30).

I just started on Pristiq last week and I find that the Provigil in combo is too much (even though I take Pristiq the night before); very speedy so I will probably discontinue the Provigil if Pristiq works out. The jury is still out on that one.

Let me know how things work out for you!

SJY

Last edited by sjy323; 11-03-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much for replying SJY. I keep leaning towards asking my dr. about pristiq and provigil, but I wouldn't take both at the same time.

My problem is I also have anxiety and I'm afraid the pristiq will cause that since it's supposed to be similar to effexor. I have been trying to find an AD ever since my lexapro stopped working well. I have tried so many things in the past.

You take pristiq at night? It doesn't keep you awake? How much do you take?

I've been on the lexapro so long, I'm afraid to give it up, plus I've heard it's heck to come off of, but if I don't I will just keep suffering. It's the only thing that ever worked for me, I guess I just can't believe it would give out on me.

When I go on an AD, it either works for me pretty much right away or it's not going to. That's just been my experience for many years.

Did you notice anything quickly with the pristiq? What AD were you on before that?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!

Salty

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
(female)

sjy323 HB User

Hi Salty.

The Provigil will give you a slight lift from depression and lethargy but it's got a short half-life so unlike an AD, it will not build up in your system so I don't think it would work as depression therapy on its own. Also, if you already experience high anxiety, it may worsen it. Prov is similar to a caffeine high.

As far as Pristiq, I've only been on it a week and the side effects are tolerable but I've lost all my motivation and have been laying around so I may give up on it today. I am not usually depressed and my recent episode may have been situational (loss of job, move, boyfriend prob) so I wasn't even sure that I was depressed but I took the Pristiq upon my psych's suggestion. I've been taking it at night and it has disturbed my sleep so I take it with 1/2 tab of Ambien. As far as any other AD experience, 10 years ago (again, major life changing situations), I went to a myriad of AD trails and nothing worked and eventually I felt better on my own.

If I felt deeply depressed, I would definately give Pris more time to work. It comes in 50mg and I believe everyone starts on this and usually stays on it. The side effects for me have been reduced appetite (always a plus), lack of motivation, and sexual dysfunction (this is not a common side effect from Pristiq but I seem to get it from all drugs, even Prov and Wellbutrin!).

Good luck, Salty! Feel free to ask away if you have any more questions!

SJY

Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you SJY. I really don't know what to do...i have been thinking about pristiq or WB.

I couldn't stand that jittery feeling from WB. Why didn't you stay with it?

Thank you for helping me with provigil. I still may mention it to my dr.

I keep reading all the side effects again from WB. I'm driving myself crazy trying to find something to add to lexapro.

I don't mean to take up room on the depression board. I just looked and my name is everywhere.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

Salty

Last edited by salty; 11-04-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: too long

Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
(female)

Blondie2182 HB User

I have tried everything from zoloft, lexapro, effexor, cymbalta you name it and what I have found works best for me is pristiq. It has been the only anti-depressant med that I havent had side effects with. On some of the other AD meds if I forgot to take it one day I would definitly be feeling well lets just say not good. Since I have been on pristiq it hasnt effected me if I accidently forget to take it one day. I also dont have sexual side effects, weight gain, etc.. which is common for other AD. I guess the only side effect is I dont feel hungry at all when I take the pristiq (but that could just be me Im not sure) Well Im going to stop rambeling on for now about pristiq but if you have not tried it yet talk to your doctor about it.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SJY, my dr. instead of putting me on celexa today, decided to try either ritalin or provigil and i picked provigil. I do not have ADD. He knows I have anxiety. He's just trying it to give me a lift. He said it can't hurt to try it.

Do you think I should start out with 50 mg. instead of 100 mg. at first? He prescribed 100mg., but I don't want to have a hard time sleeping at night.

What do you think? I'm hoping it's going to help me.

Thank you.

Salty

Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
(female)

sjy323 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
SJY, my dr. instead of putting me on celexa today, decided to try either ritalin or provigil and i picked provigil. I do not have ADD. He knows I have anxiety. He's just trying it to give me a lift. He said it can't hurt to try it.

Do you think I should start out with 50 mg. instead of 100 mg. at first? He prescribed 100mg., but I don't want to have a hard time sleeping at night.

What do you think? I'm hoping it's going to help me.

Thank you.

Salty
Hi Salty.

You can break the 100mg Prov in half. Try it in the morning, 50mg and then if you don't feel a "pick up" within a hour, take the other half. I still take the 200mg pill and break it in thirds or in half. If you take it before noon, it should be out of your system before you go to bed so you should sleep fine.

As far your your WB question... it didn't work for me and plus it gave me sexual side affects (inorgasmic). All the ADs affect me that way actually. As a FYI... I was off of Pristiq for three days, and no withdrawal systems, thankfully. But I was stuffing myself with food and felt a little down so I've decided to give it a full two weeks effort so I just started taken it again. I'll keep you posted. I hope you do the same.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, sjy. I felt pretty good today--got stuff done for once. I took the 200 mg and cut it 1/3.

I got the 7 free pills with the coupon. My dr. gave me probably 5 coupons, but don't I need a 7-pill script to go with each coupon? I don't know why he didn't do that, I guess he was waiting to see if the med would work.

I still have a regular 30-day script and then I gave the 7-day script with the coupon to the pharmacist.

So am I right that I have to now get (5) 7-day scripts to go along with 5 coupons?

And can I keep using them at the same pharmacy? Do they care? How many did you use before you had to pay for them?

Thank you so much for your help.

Please keep me posted as to how you are doing.

Salty

Last edited by salty; 11-14-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
(female)

sjy323 HB User

Salty,

You need a separate Rx for each coupon and it can only be redeemed every 30 days but if you're breaking it into thirds, you won't need a regular prescription for five months! As I've mentioned, the co-pay on a regular Rx can be expensive. The pharmacuetical company reimburses the pharmacy so you can use the same one.

I hope you like the Provigil!!

SJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Thank you, sjy. I felt pretty good today--got stuff done for once. I took the 200 mg and cut it 1/3.

I got the 7 free pills with the coupon. My dr. gave me probably 5 coupons, but don't I need a 7-pill script to go with each coupon? I don't know why he didn't do that, I guess he was waiting to see if the med would work.

I still have a regular 30-day script and then I gave the 7-day script with the coupon to the pharmacist.

So am I right that I have to now get (5) 7-day scripts to go along with 5 coupons?

And can I keep using them at the same pharmacy? Do they care? How many did you use before you had to pay for them?

Thank you so much for your help.

Please keep me posted as to how you are doing.

Salty

Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjy, thank you for that. I will have to call my dr. to get the scripts.

I like it so far, my only problem is I'm still having trouble sleeping. I have to take double of my generic klonopin, etc.

Salty

Closed Thread